What good does a combined kindergarten-1st grade class have?

My son was in kindergarten last year. The teacher never said anything about my son having problems. His test scores were all good. He had high marks and hit all the milestones that he should have hit by the end of the year. Why now is he in a combined class?

luvspinkstarz

Asked by luvspinkstarz at 11:56 AM on Aug. 26, 2009 in

• ive never heard of this...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Call the school and ask them why he's in a combined class and the benefits of it. You have the right to do that.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Well, our school is going to start the program this Sept. as well. And the program has been going on for a long time but only for GATE program classes, now the district thinks this is actually a good idea for the rest of kids. I still don't know my younger girl who is going to be in 1st grade will be in the combined class or not but I'd prefer her in that. She was doing fine in her Kindergarten class but I know there were many very advanced kids in her class which made her looking not that good and she was one of youngest ones. Anyway, I already regreted to enroll her last year and teacher/principle said she would be fine in 1st grade. DH and I just have to work with her more. We'll see how she does in 1st grade for now... For your son, I'd say don't worry about being in the combined class, it may do something good for him. Just give him some times.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 2:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Maybe he's in the class because he can be a good example/influence on the new kindergarteners. It doesn't necessarily mean he needs help. Maybe he's there to help the other kids, you know.
    I was in a combined 1st/2nd grade class in 2nd grade but that was because there were too many kids for 1 class room of each but not enough for 2 individual classrooms of each grade. The teacher always looked to the 2nd graders to be good examples to the 1st graders and we helped them with their reading and math and stuff.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My son attends a school where all grades are combined. As a preschool child he is in a class that has some kindergarten students. It actually helps in several ways. 1. He gets to learn as he watches the older children do things first. 2. He gets peer assistance, they help teach him. Nothing like a little peer motivation. 3. He will eventually be the "Big" kid and teach others. 3. If he is behind in some areas then not a big deal. He is right along with the other students in some areas and right where he should be in others. 4. If he needs to jump ahead because he is doing advanced things beyond preschool then he has the ability to do so. I find that this is a great set up. Our school does it in blocks of three grades at time. We attend a small private school and it works out well.  Ask what the philosophy is behind teaching a multi-level and multi-age group class is.  Then you can decide.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• This is a question for the school...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• There are lots of reasons kids get put into one or the other half of combination classes. The last teacher feeling the child would benefit from some review is as likely an answer as he is well behaved and will be a good example for the monsters in the lower grade... Perhaps the combo teacher will be the same one he had last year and s/he liked him?

I agree: ask -- you can only speculate until you have more information.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Is it also due to money? I know our district ran out last year. Maybe it is as simple as that.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• we had a combined class for the kids who were doing better so they can get some help from the older kids. I'm not sure if the put the kids from the older class that weren't doing as well in there or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Well, we found out my 2nd DD is in K&1st combo. Today is her 2nd day and I heard some parents complained about it and transfered to other classes or school. My DD is doing just fine and she is mature enough to deal with new kids(kindergarteners) in her classroom and there are 2 afternoons she will be with another 1st grade class having combined Social Study class. That means she will be meeting many new kids this year. I am still not sure this is gonna do good for her but for now I just learn her teacher is GATE certified teacher and really likes to teach 1st grader very much. I am with my fingers crossed. DD still has long way to go on her education so I hope this year will be a good beginning of her journey.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:41 AM on Sep. 3, 2009