I want to throw a birthday party for my soon 2 b 8 yr daughter...

8 is a big deal for us. This party is going to be huge! I also want it to be a white theme! This is hard because the only things I come up with are wedding style...mini wedding cake and so one. To soon for wedding stuff! I am renting our community center, I am having the food catered, she gets to pick her favorites. Just need ideas on the theme. Decor, cake, favors, games...the works.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A white cake is going to look pretty wedding-ish if you don't add some other colour to give it a birthday themed texture. Even just a bit of pale blue or lavendar to make it a seascape or a huge flower would work to eliminate the bridal feel.

Plain white linens, or linens with eyelet will look less bridal than lacy things, and again, pale coloured ribbons in blue or lavendar will make it more girly and less bridal.

I've noticed that white alone has a tendency to reflect yellowish off browns (like flooring) and brasses (like lighting or ceilings) and looks cleaner alongside a pale, cool colour --very light teal, lavendar or pastel blue.

If, say, you wanted a seaside theme, white eyelet linens along with white sand, white seashells with the odd purply one thrown in (like the underside of oyster shells), white twinkly lights in white tulle, white and pale blue balloons and a cake decorated with a shell theme...yes?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• hmmm...why white? I mean I guess you could do a cloud or angel theme. Or you could just do a 'formal' tea party with white plates, lace paper napkins and clear plastic tea cups. Finger sandwiches, petie fors and have every one come in there sunday best. You could set the table with little vases of daisies.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Out of curiosity, why is "8" such a big deal to you and your family?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Why white? What theme does your daughter want?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Well...8 is big for me and my family because of several reasons. Some of them are religous such as, when a child turns 8 they are the age of which they can choose to be baptized. The reason I want the color white is because it is so fresh so clean so pure. I love the idea of putting soft pastel colors with it however and I am really liking the idea of a seaside theme because as it happens we live at the ocean! This party will be big because of the religous aspect and many family member will be coming in from out of state to participate. We are inviting friends from her school, neighbors, and friend from church. This will be in late November.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 4:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009