7 months

My 7 month old has slept on his tummy since he was about 2 months old. This was the only way he would sleep. Now that he is 7 months old he doesn't like much tummy time b/c I guess he thinks he has to go to sleep so he isn't wanting to crawl much. He goes in circles on his tummy but thats it. He always weighs 24 lbs...he is a big kiddo :) So my question is...is he not trying to crawl maybe bc he sleeps on his tummy or b/c he weighs so much? When he tries to crawl he just goes backwards not forward. Anything i can do to encourage him to crawl?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would say neither....my son has slept on his tummy since 2 1/2 months. he just turned 7 months on the 19th. he is starting to crawl alittle bit. he can get up on his knees and rocks but doesn't go anywhere. and i don't think he isn't crawling bc he weighs a lot. my son is around 20 lbs. he'll crawl when he's good and ready. just continue to do tummy time even if it's only for a few minutes just put him on his tummy a handful of times throughout the day. he'll start crawling in no time...also bribe him with some toys...my DS is always scooting to get toys that are out of his reach.
    smb87

Answer by smb87 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Some babies just don't crawl, ever. His weight may be part of it, it takes more strength to lift more weight. The reason "tummy time" became so popular is because kids weren't spending ANY time on their tummies once the research came out that kids should sleep on their backs. Because children weren't spending any time on their tummies they weren't getting the chance to exercise the muscles needed to crawl.
    Have you tried getting down on the floor with him, get him interested in a toy and then move it out of his reach so he has to work to get it. We also have a penguin blow up toy that makes noise when you hit and has balls in the base that move - that helped my son learn to crawl because he wanted to "get the penguin." You can encourage them to crawl, but some kids go straight to walking without ever crawling. If he's going backward, he is getting the exercise he needs to gain the strength to learn how to crawl

Answer by missanc at 12:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Some kids don't figure out crawling until after they walk. Crawling is only a developmental marker if they're not doing anything else.

Some rounder babies find that sitting up is easier, and they scoot along by shifting their feet and bum, sometimes using their hands to shove.

It is normal for kids to go backwards instead of forwards when they first crawl. Not every child will, but it's no indication of any problem.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Dont feel bad my daughter starting "dragging herself" at 8 months and finally on all fours at 9 months.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 2:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2009