Just imagine

if Obama's last name was Moore, Davis, or Wright, with the first name Barry, and was WHITE. Would he get all this attention whether negative or positive? I know he wouldn't, the fact that he is a African-Amercian/Black man this alone fuels all this ridicule. If you don't truly believe so, you are in denial or a lost cause.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I guess I am either in denial or a lost cause because I think he gets attention because of his liberal platform (he branded himself to be so much different than Bush), the fact that he is President of the United States, and because the media is either owned by his underlings that he has given stimulus / bailout money to or just flat out in love with him, as in the case of Chris Matthews. Maybe Matthews can get those 'tingeling legs' looked at when he gets on the public option.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I completely agree with you. I have heard so much talk of the Founding Fathers. Now is the first time people are talking about this or is this a "traditional" thing every time we have a new president. Hmmmm.........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I hope I am more intelligent , educated and enlightened than your post claims. I do not follow President Obama's agenda or thinking because I see the issues differently, not because of his color or ethnicity.

Is it any more RIGHT to agree with him just because he's black and his name is Obama?
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Here's the real question, and be honest, would he have made it past the primaries if his name was Barry Davis and he was a white man? Against Hillary's crusade to be the first woman president? The entire Dem primary was based on who had the better gimmick - first black president or first female president. Nobody else had a chance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• The same could be said in the reverse OP. Who would have thought that 5 years after we were attacked on our own soil the American people would vote for a man with a name that sounds very similar to our enemies? If it weren't for the way Bush conducted himself the last term and for those that were against the war in the first place (of which many Dem. elected officials voted in favor of), Obama may not have stood a chance. He should thank Bush daily for his failures otherwise he wouldn't have gotten away with the spending he has already broken our backs with. You know, instead of blaming him and constantly talking about inheriting the mess. He asked for it and those that bought into his rhetoric handed it over on a silver platter.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• WHAT? I voted for him, I support him, I get annoyed by him, and I disagree with him. Has NOTHING to do with his color.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• How is that the real question, the black man won. We are past that, what he are not past is that we have a black president. Which is why I asked the question. If he were white, with the same politics, we would be an out of the box thinker, the new and improved, or what this country needs. But most, and most is still white people.
    Anonymous

• Yes yes yes, anon :36! He was voted in because of his race (and maybe his a little of his charisma too). But it's totally not kosher to actually say that, right? I remember on election day in my city, all the local news stations were hanging out at the polls talking to voters waiting in line, and so many people (mostly blacks, but some whites too) were saying things to the effect that they had never voted in a pres. election before, or they hadn't voted in 25 years, etc but that they just HAD to be part of this historic election. WTF is that? If that ain't voting color, I don't know what is. And now look what it's gotten us. I don't dislike Obama because he's black, but I do resent the fact that his color is the reason he was elected. His far-leftness and inexperience alone should have been enough to eliminate him as a viable candidate, but then there's Rev. Wright, "clinging to religion and guns" and all kinds of other stuff.
    Anonymous

• I think it is absolutly ridiculous! The media acts like he is a movie star/celebrity not the President of the United States! Not only the media...HE acts like he is a movie star and is swimming in all this fame when there is work to do! The President should be someone who LEADS our country not someone who is trying to make a fashion statement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• If you are thinking color has nothing to do with it, dont even respond. You are clearly not aware of the efffects of racism, and it's many forms, e.g. institutionalized, systematic etc. Oppression is an illusion to you and you could begin to understand what this country has done to it's own on a daily basis. You would lock your windows or cross the street if you saw a black man approaching, still havent got past the basics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009