Do doctors give you a choice now?

My doctor asked me if i wanted a c-section! I thought they only do c-sections if its an emergancy! I of course told her no an they only way i wanted one was if the baby would be ova 9 pounds (my youngest was 9lbs i had a hard time pushin him out) or if it is medically nessacary!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Wow. Yes, some doctors do that. It's a way to make more money. If I were you I'd switch doctors because this crackpot is OBVIOUSLY out to cut you. C-section should be a LAST RESORT and this dude isn't paying attention to what is best for mom or for baby.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I think some do. Why I don't know. My docor only brought up the c-section when my levels of protein were sky high ( i had preclampsyia (sp?)). Before that, we never talked about it.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Are you kidding me!?!? I can't believe that I didnt htink they straight out ask you, but I did read about how my state made a new law that hospitals get the same amount of money from medicare whether its a csection or a natural birth...i guess they were giving more for csections so now Dr's won't be pushing them on people.
    newmama008

Answer by newmama008 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Unfortunately, yes. And it is most often a way to make more money. C-sections are also way more convenient for your doctor as they can have a planned time to come in and cut you open. Naturally going into labor is FAR less convenient for them.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• yes some do.. they get paid more...

my dr's never brought it up, i had sever pre eclampsia and still want brought up.. they did however induce me a few days early.. my BP was super high....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My doctor gave us the choice of being induced and the c-section. After discussing it with my doctor, my husband, and even the nurse, we decided on c-section. I dont regret the decision, but, if everything is okay to....I want to try vbac when we have another baby.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Hmmm that's weird. I thought most doctors only did c-sections if they were medically necessary! That's very strange he would ask you that. I would switch doctors if I was you. If you really have your heart set on a vaginal delivery and this guy is already asking you if you want a c-section, I would be concerned that he might try and go that route when you are ready to deliver. My doctor was kind of like that. At 38 weeks he was asking me if I wanted to be induced for no reason at all. At 39 1/2 weeks he told me if I didn't go into labor by my next appt. that he was going to induce me. Thank God I went into labor on my own the next day.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Op here! No time to change docs im almost 36wks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Wow! I never will understand why women would want an elective C-section unless it was medically necessary! I think a lot of doctors push C-sections because they are convenient for the doctor-time-wise and skill-wise. But not all moms want them! Just don't let your doctor pressure you into doing something if you don't want to do it. C-sections are major surgery, and, IMO, they should only be done when medically necessary. My advice is to do some research on the subject. You want to know as much about C-sections as possible so your doctor won't take you as a naive patient. Not saying you are naive, but some doctors play patients that way. I hope you get what you want honey :)
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 12:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Here where I live in Erie PA they do not...I asked and they told me only if it was an emergency...so I had her the ol' fashioned way...Fun Fun...LOL
    jessemo6

Answer by jessemo6 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2009