What did you think of the movie 'Knowing'?

It start off great. I was riveted to the screen, and was very impressed with the visuals. I thought the men following the kids was strange, but was willing to go with it. Then it took a turn for the worst (for me, this happened with the alien-angel opening his mouth to let out a blinding ray of light.) From there it went quickly downhill. I couldn't figure out what I was watching. It was a very odd combination of science, religion, and sci-fi. There were numerous references to the end-times of the Bible (picture of Ezekial, the wheel-in-a-wheel, "they went to prepare a place...") I was even willing to get on board with that for the sake of the movie. But the last twenty minutes were beyond my understanding. Aliens? Where in the heck did that come from? And someone PLEASE tell me, what was up with them running through the field at the end, towards what one can only assume is the tree of life. I mean, really!

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 12:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I feel like the writer kinda-sorta wanted to end it in a pseudo-biblical fashion, but then wimped out at the last minute and went with aliens instead. Seriously, he should have just killed everyone off at the end. It would have made more sense.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It was different for me as well and I told my hubby at the end w/ the Aliens when they took they child it almost looked like they had angel wings..?? I told my hubby, that's new, I guess God sends his angels by space station now....LOL....it was different...
    jessemo6

Answer by jessemo6 at 12:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I loved it, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I watched it with my SO and he's hard to impress with movies, they really have to be good for him to sit through the whole thing and not comment here and there(which drives me insane). he was quiet through the whole movie pretty much. :)

The ending in the living room where he was with his family got to me though.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I didn't buy the little boy leaving with out his dad. My son wouldn't do it, even if I insisted. And I just felt the ending really didn't make any sense. It was such a good movie, up until the end.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 1:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I felt the same way. It started off great, but then took a weird turn. I didn't really mind the aliens, or the biblical references, but seriously, two people cannot populate an entire planet! Besides, why would aliens have any vested interest in whether or not any life on earth continues after it's destruction? I don't know, all in all I thought the ending was pretty lame, and I wont be watching it again.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I was going to post this same question today!!!! I had told Hazeldove I was going to watch it, and I just did the other night.

I agree with you, I didn't think they were aliens. I thought they were demons at first, but then I thought the movie tried to make them into angels. But from my Christian point of view, I think they got it all wrong. They were evil!!! Like the light coming out of it's mouth. And talking in the kids heads and showing them evil things. That is demonic!!!

I was really freaked out by the movie, I must admitt. LOL. I went into it thinking it would be a cross between National Treasure and Armegeddon Day. But it was really really weird. Angels just aren't like that!!! They would never do those things!!!

I can't wait to see what the rest of you thought of it all : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• two people cannot populate an entire planet!

There were more than two. All those other pods falling to the ground when they panned away from the two kids on the new planet.
    I thought the movie was pretty straightforward - it's a play on the idea that Earth was originally populated by aliens (who also built the pyramids, are responsible for crop circles, etc etc). When this project was about to end, they picked up a few seedlings and planted them to start another project.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• TBandNC!!! I agree. I couldn't believe he let his son go!!!! I would have kept my girls with me!!! I don't know these weirdos, HELLO!!!!

I also kept getting so mad when they would leave the kids in the car and go inside different places. Those people should be arrested, LOL.

Bad parenting skills, for sure.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Okay, so they were aliens. And it wasn't a biblical reference to Ezekiel but more of a ET take on it that some people have?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• more of a ET take on it

Pretty much.

I actually had to laugh because all through the movie, DH was saying angel and I was saying alien. When the ship finally came down at the end he looked at me and said, "you suck!" I finally explained to him that I had a feeling because I'd seen complaints when the movie came out that it was "promoting Scientology." If it was angels instead of aliens, nobody would ever bring Hubbard up in the first place.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009