Device stops texting while driving?

I just saw on CNN HLN that there is a possible new device to keep people from texting while driving. According to the article it does so by using the phone's GPS to see when you're driving fast, and then it stops texts from being sent or received. So my question is.. wouldn't this keep passengers from texting?

I can't find a link, I'm sorry!

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 1:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes it would, that's a stupid idea, people should just have common sense enough 2 not text back when their driving. If its that serious they should call the person back if they have a hands free blue tooth system. Otherwise wait until ur @ ur destination, jmo
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Yeah, I think that would mess with the passengers, and sounds like it wouldn't survive the consumer backlash.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 1:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I think it's good and bad. Bad for passengers. If they had a control that would let you text if you were at a stop that might work. I know there are a lot of states that are passing laws against cell use and texting while driving. TX now has a law that you cannot use your cell phone in a school zone.

I think it would be really good to put in cars that have young drivers so that they are prevented from trying to do too many things at once. It would have to work independently from a GPS though. Part of me thinks it's a great idea, and part of me thinks it's too much government.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I can't imagine how they could make it to so it would just resond to the driver texting. It has a good idea behind it but actually putting it in place and having it work sounds impossible. Sadly as an above poster commented it should be common sense to not test but truly does our word seem to operate on common sense? Sadly no and we are seeing over and over the accidents related to people trying to text and drive.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It would be a good thing to stop texting but I can't see how it would work.Or if it is possible. But anyone who thinks it is okay to drive and text is an idiot. And a huge hazard on the roads.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• And how about the car is ON but you need help? You are being followed or something, or would this still allow the cell phone function to work?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2009