PCOS and metaformin(sp?)?

Has anyone else taken Mataformin with Pcos and what are some of the side affects? I found out I had pcos at 16 and they told me it would be hard to get pregnant but I did and now they are putting me on this medicine! I just need some advice on things I should do or not do? Thanks

kcriswell

Asked by kcriswell at 1:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Health

• I just found out that I have pcos this summer and they wanted to put me on metformin. I talked them into giving me a few months to try to control my body before taking it. My husband and my best friend from grade school both take it for type 2 diabetes, and take it for that. My husband says that he didn't notice any difference in the way he felt, and my friend says that she was tired for a few days after starting, but felt no different after being on it for a while.
    To my understanding, Metformin is suposed to make your cells not resist insilin which is a symptom of pcos, my guess is they want to to take it to help insure that you don't get gastational diabetes or have a huge baby. I didn't have it while I was pregnant and had a 9lb 9oz baby, my other's were 7lb 2 oz and 8lb 5oz
    It would probably be good to write down all the questions that come up and ask your doctor at your next visit.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 1:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2009