Do schools teach respect and tolerance towards children with special needs including children with mental retardation?

While I was playing with my toddler to the park a 10 year old (I'm guessing) boy was blocked by normal kids so he couldn't use the slide.

The boy looked normal but he started to move his hands rapidly and was humming. I saw going down the slide with no problem.

I was wondering why did the person who was with the boy had to intervene so the other kids stop the bullying behavior towards the boy?

Aren't schools supposed to teach the students to respect others even if they have a disability?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• The ones here don't.

That's right ---- my "5*", "exemplary", VERY strict school keeps the mentally & physically hadicapped children segregated for most of the day in their own Special Ed. classrooms.

They're ALWAYS ridiculed by their peers & almost on display at social times (recess, lunch, etc) I say "on display" because -- how else would you put it?.... when they are always grouped together in their own little group, own little play area, own lunch table...

Just another reason my kids are homeschooled. Everyone has that "socialization" arguement with homeschoolers. Yeah, well, THAT is NOT how I want my kids to learn to "socialize" with those that are different than them.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• They don't.
    Teachers are not allowed to intervene on the schoolyard unless there is physical bullying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• it's not the teachers that should teach that it's the parents of the kids. Teachers should help enforce it at school but that's a lesson parents should instill in their kids.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I believe respect should be taught by the parents, that should be the parents responsibility!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Ideally the parents should teach their kids how to treat other kids, it is not the school's responsibility to do it. I do believe the teachers/school should have rules about behavior towards others and enforce the rules (like no bullying, sharing...).

In your case the person had to step in and stand up for his/her child cause the other kids obviously were not being well supervised or taught to 'play well with others' by their parents!

I know it pisses me off to know end when my child is singled out, picked on, bullied for being 'different'.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• IDEALLY parents should teach this, but unfortunately they don't! And the schools should step in, but my finding is most often the teachers and principals themselves don't even understand our children... and quite honestly most of them don't care to. My son has high functioning autism and has physical outbursts...I thought football would be a great physical release. Sadly, I found that it was the PARENTS who were less accepting than the kids.
    My son was on a dye free diet to see if it had any effect, a mother brought in popsicles my son said to her I'm allergic to food dye is there food dye in that. She said figure it out or don't eat it I don't really care. So he tried to read the ingredients ...she covered them up and yelled at him to get away. Later she walked by me and said oh look popsicles have juice and sugar in them God forbid SOMEONE'S child eat that!
    So unfortunately it seems intolerance is starting at home.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 2:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It's your job as a parent to teach your kids this. Not the school.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It's not the school's job to teach it, it's job of PARENTS. It is the job of teachers to teach ACADEMICS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• yes we do teach that but if at home, they are taught to make fun of the child, we can do nothing about that, that sounds so sad, as a teacher, i cannot help but jump in and correct other people's kids for being bad to each other. might piss off the parents but they should do it before i can. so yes, in school we have inclusion, that means special education students are in the class as much as possible and we teach to accept them for who they are and value their gifts but like i said at home if mom, dad or sibling teach them the wrong way to act, that seems to stick with them.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• But would it really be asking too much for a teacher to step in and stop children from picking on others? Write a note to the counselor and discuss it with them?
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 2:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2009