Food allergies: Follow up from another post!!!!

I just saw a post about a Mom who's Daughter only likes Peanut Butter and the school will not allow it due to allergies of other students. I was reading some post that Mom's wrote and could not believe what some of them had to say. Some posts said allergies are all in their heads, it was unfair that their child could not have the foods they like, or that other Moms were being selfish. My Kids don't have allergies but I take it very seriously when packing lunches for my kids. I will NOT jeopardize another child's health for the like of my child's favorite foods. So my question is if the shoe was on the other foot and YOUR child was the one with the allergy would you feel the same way and would it be okay for a Mom to pack her child a food that could make your child extremely sick??

mommymine3

Asked by mommymine3 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• "I mean really, do you tell the doctors office not to allow in patients that ate peanut butter in the last 24 hours because of your child's allergy? Do you avoid the supermarket? Do you Clorox wipe the entire playground when you go in case some child had a peanut product at lunch and now their "peanut fumes" are on the toys?"

How can you compare a doctors office to a freakin lunchroom or classroom where the food is right there? There is a difference in being in a place where a child is there who has consumed PB and being right next to the actual food itself. Your argument is completely ignorant obviously you don't have the first clue about allergies. I can guarantee if your child had a severe allergy or medical problem you'd be wanting everything done to keep them safe.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I think that schools should accommodate students with medical problems if this means that the schools distract have to start opening specialized schools for children with allergies then so be it.. Parents of these children need to get together to start and demand an appropriate education for their children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Some people don't believe in allergies..haha.. That's a new one. We are full of allergies in our family, and my mom is allergic to peanuts and eggs among many other things, Peanut allergies are very deadly ! Although my son isn't allergic, I have no problem that his daycare is a peanut free zone. He CAN eat something else...To the Above poster - you think there should be a special school for kids with allergies so your child can eat a sandwich?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Anon 1:26:

You think there should be school designated for kid's with food allergies?!?!?! Why can't the damn kid have a sandwich when they get home. Parents need to educate themselves on the health of other students that their kid's attend school with. It's a simple fix.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I feel that if the only sandwich my child likes is peanut butter and jelly, my child should be able to have that sandwich. However, I do feel for kids with allergies. I'm not heartless. But when I was a kid we didn't have all these "food rules". Were kids not allergic to peanuts when I was a kid?

My school SERVED peanut butter and jelly as the alternate lunch for kids that didn't like that days item or kids whose parents forgot to send a lunch or lunch money.

I also sometimes feel that if your child is so deathly allergic to peanuts, maybe your child needs to go to a special school or stay home. I mean really, do you tell the doctors office not to allow in patients that ate peanut butter in the last 24 hours because of your child's allergy? Do you avoid the supermarket? Do you Clorox wipe the entire playground when you go in case some child had a peanut product at lunch and now their "peanut fumes" are on the toys?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I agree with the food allergies school. OR homeschool. I would homeschool my kids if they were that suceptable to food allergies. Sorry, it doesn't matter what foot the shoe is on, it a kid is that allergic they don't belong in school. IT IS SIMPLY TOO DANGEROUS FOR THEM.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• As a person with a severe allergy to peanut butter and most other nuts (as in if I as so much put my food on a surface where peanut butter has been I will have a reaction it could be a simple hives reaction or something more serious as in my throat starts closing up immediately) I will say I think it's ignorant when any of you moms sit on here and get pissed off and don't understand it. What is the big deal about your child not having a pb&j sandwich at school? GET OVER IT! Basically you are saying my reaction to the food is less important than your child having what they want all of the time because well just face it who cares about allergies your child wants a pb&j sandwich at school.

Or to say I didn't belong in school? what was I supposed to do? Stay at home and not get an education because people want to be so selfish?
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I think it is unfair to ban a food just becuase of an allergy. People are allergic to all kids of things and hiding from it is not the best solution. 1. you cannot prevent certain foods from coming into the schools. Why, becuase you never know where it'll be. Kids will sneak in candy and not even realize there is peanut in it. 2. Just because the school is free doesn't mean the bus or bus stop is. what about sunday school or soccer practice. What about the malls? You can't hid from the food. 3. in milder cases, exposure to the allergane can help build a tolerance.

To say my daughter can't have nuts before school as it might linger and still affect another child?! If your child is that bad, you need to find a better way to manage the allergy. I understand allergies and I am cautious what I make for my childs day care class and let them know what is in it in case there are allergies, but it's up to them .cont.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• .cont. up to them to provide an alternative. If your child is allergice to milk, we don't stop serving milk. No, we offer alternatives. We let you know if strawberries are in the cake or fruit salad. But in the end it's the parent's responsiblity to protect their child and education their child on what they can and cannot eat.

If simply inhailing peanut particles is going to kill you, then you might just have to stay home or take an epi pin with you and learn to deal with your problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I feel that if the only sandwich my child likes is peanut butter and jelly, my child should be able to have that sandwich.

It's a freakin sandwich for God sake. That's not any one's fault but your own for your child only liking peanut butter and jelly. My kids eat what I feed them, there's no picking and choosing and living off PB&J.

Anonymous