How old were you when you married?

What was your wedding like? What was your honeymoon like? Also I am on a thin budget and I would love suggestions on do-it-yourself wedding ideas and cheap but awesome honeymoon spots! Thanks!

BigMaemaJama

Asked by BigMaemaJama at 1:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• 20: big wedding went all out, regretted spending the money we did within 4 weeks of the wedding, lasted 18 months

30: went to vegas to get hitched and honeymoon, spent $800 and must have really liked it as DD was a result...going on 3.5 years and don't regret not having a big wedding...got married in a sundress barefooted like I wanted to as a child.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• 22 and unmarried. Living with and totally happy with him (my DD's daddy). We will probably get married someday but (this sounds like a horrible excuse, but it is the truth) he has horrible credit so I don't want to marry him until I buy a house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I was 38 and we planned and paid for the wedding and honeymoon ourselves. My wedding was beautiful. I think whatever you like and what ever you do for your wedding it Will be beautiful and special to you and your fiance/husband. I wasn't extravagant but we did a wonderful wedding with what money we had and we spent most of it on our Maui, Hawaii honeymoon. I think it's better to put most of the money toward the honeymoon, because it's just for the two of you and not anyone else.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I was 18..I had a big wedding in the church, with my bigg dress!
    honeymoon=florida we rented a beach house.
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I was 21 when I got married. We had a good size wedding (200 people) but most were family. We paid for it ourselves, and only spent about $6000, which is pretty good for the size and formality of our wedding. I loved my wedding and wouldn't change it for anything.

We did our own flowers, my aunt altered my dress, I bought the flower girl dress (for my daughter) at Burlington Coat Factory ($30!). I got my dress at David's Bridal's $99 dress sale. I bought my card box at a craft store and dressed it up myself. Got my veil on Craigslist. Our parents were members of Direct Buy, so we got our rings for a lot less than they would have been at the jewelery store. A friend made my cake as our wedding gift (it was beautiful too). I would suggest taking advantage of any friends or family who are talented, or have special skills.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• First marriage: 16 and I had a big wedding but I planned it and used a strict budget since it was my tight wad mom's money

Second marriage: 19, we ran away to TN (from KY) and got married at the courthouse (he was underage so we couldn't get married in KY) - yep I robbed the cradle but he knocked me up so my mom said we had to get married.

Third marriage: 33, we got married in the church basement with a few good friends as witnesses. I wore a pair of jeans and a nice top and boots! It was a small redneck town!

No honeymoon for any of them

Answer by admckenzie at 1:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I was 31..dh was 26. Small church wedding followed by a small reception. No honeymoon...I was pregnant. We're saving for a nice "honeymoon" on our 5 year anniversary. I wouldn't have changed anything about our wedding though. It was simple but beautiful!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 1:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• 19.. smaller wedding only 150 people. simple. very simple. i let my mom plan everything, hubbys aunt made the cake, we did our own flowers, my mom cooked the food... honeymoon? we went to amish country for a couple nights.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• 19.

It cost $3100. My grandmother made the cake, my uncle did the photography, a friend decorated the hall, another friend did all the makeup, I wore my mom's dress, we had a cash bar and used a hall that my dad's work social club runs. We found the cheapest catering possible, by selecting very ordinary foods. We left off the linens on the tables, because the tables were nice. We got married in a chapel associated with dh's work, so that was free, too.

The dj and the food were the most expensive parts. Our 'honeymoon' was a night in a hotel downtown.

24 years later, still going strong.

I know a woman who had a potluck backyard wedding and a camping honeymoon. They're still married, too. It cost them the licence and the minister: $150 at the time. Friends, and friends of friends had an all-night jam session to dance to, and then camped out all over the house and yard.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Thanks so much for all of your input! Its really interesting that there are so many ways a wedding can go! My situation: No wedding budget as of now (Aug 2010 is our date) but my mother in law bought me the dress and accessories and my aunt is putting together the flowers and my sister is making the cake. We decided to do the wedding in my sisters backyard since we are low on funds and we would need to book a place in advance. Soo now we are saving for the grooms outfit and it is a messy plan, I have never even been to a wedding yet so I am hoping I dont miss anything I am supposed to do! LOL buut I am sure it will be awesome and I love the comment about getting married in a sundress barefooted! I think that sounds so relaxed and natural! As for the honeymoon my father in law said he will pay for it, but I still wanna go on a frugal budget especially since my parents are unable to pitch in... Thanks again!
    BigMaemaJama

Answer by BigMaemaJama at 1:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2009