Ok so for those of you who answered my baby gender question, thanks a bunch, all the tricks worked and we found out it's a boy! However, the ultrasound tech. told us that his kidneys seemed to be backed up. My doctor told me that it wasn't a serious concern, but she's sending me for a level 2 ultrasound at Yale Hospital. It's wicked hard not to worry so I'd really appreciate any feedback or related stories to help put my mind at ease.

xoxneanxox

Asked by xoxneanxox at 1:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• kidneys backed up? what does that even mean?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I am going through this with my son right now as we speak. I am 35 weeks pregnant.. I talked with my home nurse about my concerns about this.. I have yet to get a second stage sonogram.. But more than likely the baby being a boy will have more fluids and such in their kidneys than a girl. My doctor told me it wasnt a serious concern either but that they wanted to keep an eye on the situation just to make sure it didnt turn into a problem. So I am praying that it is the same situation for you hun! I know it is hard not to worry but keep praying about it and try not to stress too much hun..
    Cameolynn

Answer by Cameolynn at 1:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I know it is hard but don't worry. Until you get the results of your level 2 ultrasound, the best thing you can do is concentrate on taking care of yourself and your little boy.

When I was pregnant with my son, I had a level 2 ultrasound because of my "advanced maternal age." The technician couldn't get a good look at my son's heart and wasn't able to see all the chambers of his heart. They scheduled a 2nd ultrasound about a month later. My son's heart ended up being 100% fine. It's just hard to see everything that they want to see during the ultrasound.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My son was born with unilateral congenitive hydronephrosis. My first sonogram showed what they called a slight dilitation in his right kidney and they did a renal sonogram as soon as he was born.Also his ureter was not open nor completely attached on the affected kidney. In my son's case it is genetic. I know how hard it is not to worry! The next ultrasound will give them a better picture of what is going on and they may be able to make a more accurate determination of what exactly is going on. But have faith and trust your doctor.
    We saw a wonderful pediatric urologist for regular checkup and testing! Thankfully, he never required surgery or has ever had any problems but it is something he must always be aware of because the kidney is already enlarged and could cause problems at any time. FYI..people with kidney problems are more prone to ear infections. Let me know if you want or need more info! My son is now 13!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2009