How do I get my 9 month old pup to house train????

I have a 9 month old mini doxie who refuses to house train. He knows to go to the door and he gets to go out, but he will only do it about half the time. He even pees in the bed at night!! I have tried everything I know to do: treats, puppy pads, etc. He just refuses. I have a 3 yr old lab who is completely house broke so I thought this would help the puppy when I got him. By the way I have had him since he was 8 wks old, so it is not like he has ever been anywhere else.

proffet78

Asked by proffet78 at 1:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Pets

• Ive always crate trained my dogs
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 1:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Tried that too. That is how I have always trained also. He just pees in there too. He doesn't seem to mind that he is laying in it or not.
    proffet78

Answer by proffet78 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• i trained my two by taking them out every hour and tons of praises. Try a doggie door if you have a fenced yard. A dog that doesn't mind sitting in it is odd. I wish I go offer more help. Good luck.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 2:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• How big is the crate that your putting him in? If it's twice the length of him then you need to block part of it off. I know it sounds mean but the less space they have the quicker they will learn not to pee in the crate. Keep him in the crate at all times unless you are right there with him. When you take him out of the crate put him outside, if he goes then let him play in the house. If he refuses to go outside then bring him in and put him back in the crate and try again in 10-15 mins. Once he goes outside then let him play in the house. Keep it up and he'll learn.
    jessicazeksmom

Answer by jessicazeksmom at 3:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Everytime he goes i WAS TOLD TO RUB HIS NOSE .AND SAY TO YOUR PUP NO . HE WILL LEARN AFTER 2 OR 3 DAYS.. GOOD LUCK.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:26 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• NEVER rub your dog or cats nose in the mess. That is very dark ages advice.
    Go back to the basics. Keep the dog on a regular schedule, when it is time to go outside for bathroom relief, do not play until the task is done. Then praise immediately and if you choose allow playtime. Take the dog to same area of yard every time so he learns there is an appropriate place. Also, do not let your dog see you clean up the mess inside. As pups the mother dog cleaned up after them and they did not have to learn another place to pee. You want him to know those days are over. Take a paper towel of the mess and place it in the designated area of yard for scent training. Check out some of the great dog related forums on cafemom for further advice.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 11:00 AM on Aug. 27, 2009