Sleeping with us...

My DD just turned 2!! She still sleeps with us! I do, however, move her to her toddler bed once she falls asleep. Then about 2-3am she wakes up and is standing at my bedside crying. So, against my better judgment, i pick up her up and put her in bed with us (I'm soooo sleep deprived & apparently lazy - once I read what I am typing) but regardless, any suggestions on how to coax her into falling asleep and staying in her bed???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You should make it a big deal that she is moving into her own room with a big girl bed. Maybe bring her to the store and let her pick out a new pillowcase or something for her new bed. Just keep hyping it up. Then you have to put her to bed in there. She is coming back in the middle of the night because she wakes up somewhere different then where she fell asleep. Good luck!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Does she go to sleep at the same time you do? (Is she used to you laying next to her until she falls asleep?) If so, you could continue to lay with her, just lay with her in HER bed until she falls asleep. When my kids were little we had a routine and they knew what it was, the last thing was books, and they knew they got 2 books and then I was leaving their room. But it wasn't a big deal, because they had never slept in my bed, so it might be harder for her. You might want to start out laying down until she falls asleep, and then if she comes to your room in the middle of the night, you have to stick to your guns and put her back in her bed. Maybe gradually you can reduce the amount of time you lay down with her once she's used to her bed in her room.

Answer by missanc at 2:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• There is a great article about transitioning baby from the family bed on drjaygordon.com. Check it out.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• OP here. YES, she goes to sleep at the same time we do most of the time, Actually, last night, she dozed on the couch and i was able to put her straight to her bed around 10ish, but she was up at 2am. again, and again at 430 or 5... We're working on it and DF is supportive of the crying it out method because last month it was she screamed until I got UP with her and went and sat in the recliner, I couldn't even recline without her screaming, so I told him, ENUF is ENUF! and sat back there in the bed and just let her cry. I felt like I was being bullied for a week or so before I put my foot down. I want to thank everyone for the advice. I just need to rattle on and vent from time to time and am new here on CM and appreciate everyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2009