ESL daycare provider?

Would you let your 4 month old be taken care of by someone whose first language wasn’t the same as urs?

this is my thinking:
Pros: he has a chance to be bi-lingual (learning Spanish 3 days a week and English at home)

Cons: obvious communication issues, if she tries speaking English to him he may pick up on her broken English

let me say that I haven’t even meet the woman yet so I haven’t made ANY decision, but i was wondering what others thought about this issue.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• i would rather him learn his home language first but ... if she was a great sitter,,, i am sure it wouldnt matter too much as long as she understands and speaks english so he can talk to her.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I don't think he will end up truly bilingual unless he is with this provider for a long, long time. Studies have shown that have a nanny/day care provider speak another language is not a very efficient way for a child to learn that language. That being said, your child will pick up words & phrases of Spanish & will develop an "ear" for the language which will make it easier to learn fully later in life.

Many children who are raised bilingual will initially be behind in speaking either language but generally catch up quickly. I would make sure your care provider speaks enough English that she can understand your child & also your instructions but other than that, I think it would be a great experience for your child.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• First I chose to work from home that way my kids wouldn't have to go to daycare. But if I had to put them in daycare then I think it would bother me a little. Yes they will be learning a new language. But then they will be hearing the spanish more than english even though it is only 3 days a week. So I would rather them learn english first. Good Luck!

Jill
    Work at home mom of 2 girls!

freeathome

Answer by freeathome at 3:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2009