Can my baby eat breast milk and solid food until 12 months only? no formula suplem.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most definitely yes!!!! Why would you HAVE to supplement formula if their are no supply issues or antyhing like that?

My 4 year old and 2 year old have NEVER had a drop of formula and are some of the healthiest kids I know. My 4 year old nursed until he was 18 months old and didn't eat solids until he was 10 months because he didn't want them and my 2 year old is still nursing at 26 months and started solids at 9 months old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Um... yeah?
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• you mean do you ever have to ff your baby? no..what do you think babies ate "back in the day" before formula? cavemen mommies didn't load the kids onto a mammoth and drive to to local cave mart to buy formula.....LOL
    Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 2:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Definitely. Breast milk is the perfect food--baby doesn't need formula. My DD never had formula. She self weaned at one year & went right to cow's milk.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• LOL Bjoycassell that was funny, but yeah breastmilk was created for our babies to eat that, back then there were no supplements for babies, if it is possible for me i wanna continue breastfeeding DD until she is 12 months :)
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 2:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY!

If you have no true supply issues, can manage to pump enough for a BM bottle if you need to leave baby with a caregiver, than formula supplementation isn't necessary.

Formula is there for women who can't, or decide not to BF...or want to supplement while BFing. However you don't HAVE to supplement if it's not necessary. BM (or formula if someone has to, or chooses to use it) is the only form of nutrition that's necessary for the first 12 months of life. Solids are just for practice. It's better to wait until 6 months to introduce solids, but many mothers do so when the doc gives the go-ahead (usually between 4-6 months depending on the doc).
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Of course. What do you think women fed their babies before formula and bottles existed.

My now 3 year old never even had a drop of formula in her life.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Um...of course they can. Why on earth couldn't they?

For the record..the baby food isn't needed either. It's not for nutrition, it's for practice. Breastfeed for a year then introduce table foods.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• You can EBF your baby until 12 mos even, if you wanted to delay solids. Formula is not necessary.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2009