How do I convince SO to quit feeding our 13 month old sweets every night?

My son just turned 13 months old and since he was around 9 months or so, his father insists on feeding him sweets like pudding and ice cream and snack cakes. SO is a big sweet eater and has to have dessert every night after dinner, I rarely eat this type of food. He insists on feeding our son this crap, including chocolate (which is not a good idea right before bed because of the caffeine). If I say anything about it, he gets mad and says "he's my son, I can feed whatever I want". And then we wind up arguing over it. I would not mind these things in small amounts as a treat once in a while, but he insists on feeding him this crap just every night. I want my son to develop good healthy eating habits and have healthy teeth(I have always had bad teeth and I ate lots of candy and sweets when I was young, I am determined that my son will not have the dental problems that I have always had). I have tried to explain all this to him.

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 2:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Seriously, This is so bad for your child. Just keep telling him he can't have it. Even if you do argue. Nag him about it everytime.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I'd say that if he's so concerned about asserting his rights as a father, like feeding his kid what he wants, then he needs to assume the responsibility that comes with that right. And that responsibility is to give his child the best nutrition he can to give him a head start in life. Dental health is linked to developmental health. His physical health now will impact his physical and mental health potentially for the rest of his life. It's not about his rights as a dad, it's about his responsibility to do right for his son.

But you can't always curb a sweet tooth, so look into healthier alternatives. We like warm or cold rice with milk, vanilla and cinnamon and a sprinkle of sugar; celery with peanutbutter and raisins (ants on a log); or you can freeze yogurt cups and voila! ice cream :]
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 2:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Simple, say if you feed my child one more twinky I will unleash the "sweet cops" on you for child abuse, child endangerment and negligence. You are setting my child in a path of diabetes, addiction to sweets and it will stop right here right now, today no more. This is none sense and to some degree you must know it, stop using my son as an excuse for your stubbornness. I have become the "sugar Nazi" of this house.

Walk to the kitchen and throw in the trash all that crap junk food you can find. Don't buy it any more, don't allow it in your house. If he gets more 'obnoxious" about it call you pediatrician and demand an intervention to educate your SO. Set up an appointment with a dietitian and make sure your SO goes to the meeting. be strong don't give in and don't give up. Don't compromise on this one, your child is counting on you and do whatever is best for him. That's your job as a mom, to do what is best 4 your child
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Best thing you can do is NOT have the stuff in the house. SO will not like it. TOUGH. It preserves his health too.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I just said to him last night that I "was putting my foot down" about this, and we got in a huge arguement over it. He did not have any sweets last night though. He has a 12 year old son with his ex-wife and the boy weighs over 150 pounds, he eats like his father and hates vegetables and fruit and just about anything good for him. I don't want this to happen to my son! My son loves veggies and fruits right now thankfully!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Just keep putting your foot down regardless of how pissed off he gets. My ex husband used to feed our son chocolate pudding or snack cakes or whatever right before he brought him back to me so he would be hyper and I couldn't get him to sleep. I would chew him out about it and tell him how bad it was for our son. Eventually he just got tired of hearing me argue about it so he doesn't do it anymore.
    prcd_n_tatd

Answer by prcd_n_tatd at 2:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• If you do the grocery shopping, then don't keep the items in the house. I would also talk to the doctor and next time hubs starts feeding your son crap say "the doctor says....." (I did that with my mil when she fed my baby crap and she backed off real fast!). I would also bring his other son into it and say "by feeding Tommy all this crap, he is going to develop unhealthy eating habits and he could develop a weight problem like Jason or develop health problems. I don't want that to happen to Tommy".
    I hope your husband will listen to you, and stop feeding your son all that sugary stuff.
    Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• stop buying sweets.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We grocery shop separately because I prefer to buy the more healthy organic and vegetarian items which he says is a waste of money and gets angry. So, we began going our separate ways in the store to avoid arguing. So, he buys this stuff and he is a grown man and I do not feel right telling him what he can and cannot eat.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• oh, and it's never too late to start teaching your child that certain sweets aren't good for his body and for growing big and strong- teach him to like healthier sweets and avoid the bad ones and that way he'll be on your side when dad tries to shove that twinkie in his face, dad'll be outnumbered :]

My sister had my niece saying "McDonalds is not healthy for children," as soon as she could make sentences. She'd ask for blimpie instead lol.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 12:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2009