How can I get rust off my cast iron pot?

It's everywhere! I've tried scrubbing it with the rest of my dishes, but that only gets the minimum. Can anyone help me?

DrJChappell

Asked by DrJChappell at 2:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Clean it, dry it off, get a paper towel and some cooking oil and rub it all over it. From now on do that after you use it.

Answer by louise2 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• A brillo pad will do it. Then wash and dry well, oil the whole pan. Wipe off excess oil with a paper towel.

Answer by Bmat at 2:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CastIronPans.htm

This site has a lot of information about cast iron cookware and how to care for it.

Answer by Bmat at 2:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• 1. use steel wool to sand off any rust

2. Wash your cast iron cookware with warm water and soap using a scouring pad.

3 Dry the cookware thoroughly, it helps to put the pan in the oven for a few minutes to make sure it's really dry.

4. Coat the pot or pan inside and out with lard, Crisco, bacon fat, or corn oil.

5. Place the pot or pan upside down in your oven at 300F for at least an hour to bake on a "seasoning" that protects the pan from rust and provides a stick-resistant surface.

6. For best results repeat steps three and four and five.

7. Ongoing care: Every time you wash your pan, you must season it. Place it on the stove and pour in about 3/4 tsp. corn oil or other cooking fat. Wad up a paper towel and spread the oil across the cooking surface, any bare iron surfaces, and the bottom of the pan. Turn on the burner and heat until smoke starts to appear. Cover pan and turn heat off.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• yep use steel wool , brillo pad or SOS pads. scrub it good, wash it good, dry it well . then 'season' the pan with cooking oil rub it all over the pan. EVERYWHERE. heat it up so that the oil gets into the pan. rub off excess oil with a paper towels. I always store my cast iron pans with paper towels between them. I have my grandmothers cast iron griddle (it is at least 90 years old) and this is how she, my mother and I have all taken care of it. It is still in awesome shape and will most likely last another 90 years

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Another hint is: Don't use soap to scrub it after using it.... regular old table salt, a sponge and hot water will get it clean without ruining the seasoning you've done previously.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:11 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• the absolute best way to get RUST off of a cast iron pot or skillet is to put it into an outside fire. if you have a small spot in your yard and can burn some yard waste like wood or branches or leaves, put that pot directly in the fire for the duration of the fire. let it cool very slowly and then wash it off well and dry immediately. you will then of course have to reseason it.
    this is the only thing that (i think) that works completely.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:23 AM on Aug. 27, 2009