Can we learn something from this statement?

I'm paraphrasing it because I was driving when I heard it:

"Someone with a different ideology isn't the enemy, he's the opposition."

This was stated by Republican strategist David Winston during the Diane Rehm show on NPR today, as they were discussing Ted Kennedy and his practice of working with both parties.

I think that's a really profound statement when you consider the heated rhetoric in politics these days. If we can all remember that someone who disagrees with you is an opponent, not an enemy, perhaps we can actually start seeing each other differently and get things done.

Asked by gdiamante at 2:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Quite right. This is a principle of parliamentary democracy.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I don't consider those who don't agree with me as the enemy. I would agree with that statement.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Lol, I've said something similar to that ON HERE a bunch of times, only to be told I was either stupid or it wasn't true. Both sides always have some valid points, it's ridiculous to discount them because they come from the otherside. So many times we could get a better product by working together.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• For the most part the statement is true. However, sometimes they are the enemy. An example would be Hitler and his ideologies. I am referring of course to the issues the German's faced with him, not the US or other countries.

We must just be watchful.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Very good point yourspecialkid. I agree with you, we do need to be watchful.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• yes it is time to move past the "if you ain't with us you are against us" mentality of past admin from both sides of the political fence

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 5:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• A young couple moved into a new neighborhood. The next morning while they were eating breakfast, the young woman saw her neighbor hanging the wash outside.

'That laundry is not very clean,' she said. 'She doesn't know how to wash correctly. Perhaps she needs better laundry soap.'

Her husband looked on, but remained silent. Every time her neighbor would hang her wash to dry, the young woman would make the same comments.

About one month later, the woman was surprised to see a nice clean wash on the line and said to her husband: 'Look, she has learned how to wash correctly. I wonder who taught her this.'

The husband said, 'I got up early this morning and cleaned our windows.'

And so it is with life. What we see when watching others depends on the purity of the window through which we look.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• ^^ (got in an email a few minutes ago)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Thank you Anonymous 6:37

How True!
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 8:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• And so it is with life. What we see when watching others depends on the purity of the window through which we look.

Preach!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009