Toddler Bed time?

My son is 21 months old, still in a crib, doesn't try ever to climb out BUT.... he does fight every night to go to sleep. It takes a good 25 minutes of him in there talking to himself, whining for mommy, repeating words he knows , kicking the wall etc - we've adjsuted his bedtime over and over and 8 seems right for him but no matter what he does this. DO you think I should put him in a toddler bed or wait til he attempts to climb out before I make the switch? I am in no hurry at all, just curious if it would be more of a nightmare to get him to go to bed if he did switch now or should I wait ? not sure how much time I actually have before he trys to climb the crib

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have always placed my son down to sleep at a starting time of 7:00. The official bed time routine begins, for us, by winding down with the same thing over and over again. Bath, brush, medicines, story, rock/sing, and then bed. Now at almost three it is the same thing only have added a potty slot and more stories and less rocking. We still rock occassionally. We turn off the lights, let him sleep with soft music playing and let him drift off. He can talk or roll around his bed. For our home the key was routine all day long. He even took great two hour naps and still does. Studies show that the later the bedtime the more difficult it is for a kid to fall a sleep and stay a sleep. They also tend to wake earlier when put down later. Toddlers and preschoolers need about 10 - 12 hours of rest each night. Every child is different but 10 to 12 seems the norm for a healthy child.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• keep him int he crib until he can climb out.........you don't have to buy him a toddler bed to save $$ you can just buy a twin size mattress and place it on the floor that way if he does roll off of it it will only be 8 inches no big deal

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Keep him in the crib.
    Have you established a good bedtime routine to help him get ready for bed?
    My 2 year old has gotten to be really good about bedtime. We start settling down about an hour before bed. He gets his snack. We brush teeth. We read a few stories. Diaper. Pajamas. By the time he's got his pajamas on he's walking around looking for his two favorite stuffed animals and ready to give kisses and hugs to everyone. Most of the time he's walking around saying "nite nite" the minute the pajamas are on.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Yes, thats almost the exact routine we have for our son. We started a bedtime routine at 4 months old, its adjusted to his age but has been the same now since he was 12 months old... he's a very verbally spirited child ( crys alot, whines alot etc ) and he will walk hand in hand with me, say night night to daddy, knows its bedtime, we read his favorite books each night, then its the same end result.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009