Help before I FLIP OUTTTT

How can I get ANYTHING done, with a SCREAMING 10 month old! It seems like she is crying from sun up to sun down! My mom recently had her for a week, and I'm pretty sure she held her CONSTANTLY! My baby was not this fussy before! My house HAS to be clean today!!!!!!!!!! Its gotten HORRIBLE! Do I just let her sit in her crib or playpin and cry???? HELP!

airforewifenmom

Asked by airforewifenmom at 2:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Do you have a sling? If not, go get one! That way you can make your baby happy AND have two hands to clean house with. And don't worry, it won't last forever. The more confident your child is that you're around, the more independent she'll become. It's likely that she's screaming because you were away for a week and she's afraid you'll leave again.
    Good luck.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 3:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Its my son all over again... but he was that fussy all the time! I'd give her some time to get used to you being back with her -you house doesn't HAVE to be cleaned, you want to clean it - wait til she goes to bed. I would. and did and do.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• LOL. NO, my house MUST get cleaned today! I have 0 clean dishes, and clean clothes!!! No I dont use a sling, because she will break my back....She has been "home" for a week now.....idk. Its just reallllllly frustrating!
    airforewifenmom

Answer by airforewifenmom at 3:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• well, What I had to do because my son was a crying machine - was do it anyway - unlatching him everytime he clung to my leg and calmly said, Nope, mOmmy has to do dishes, It was a LONG DAY, but I got things done and he was going to cry anyway whether I was playing with him or cleaning - i would also talk to him in a normal tone voice through the crys, Oh Max, look at how dirty this dish is.... oh... honey, mommy doesn't have any pants, lets go and do a load of clothes , granted he was still crying and clung to my leg but it kept me more calmed rather than just listening to that god awful crying - I would basically be talking to myself - seems silly but it helped me get through it all - the chores and the crying. eventually he realized I really wasn't going to be able to pick him up.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• If you MUST clean,. then do it. She's not going to be happy and there's truly not much you can do but endure it.

Me, I'd make DAD do the cleaning. But I don't know if that's a possibility for you.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Does having her in the same room while you're cleaning help? If so, set up the pack N play, put on some fun tunes and sing to her or dance around while your'e cleaning. My son would get a kick out of this and I got in a work out and was in a great mood when I was done. Just make sure the blinds are closed or your neighbors will think you're nuts. LOL
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Id love to be able to have dad help......BUT We just pcsed to Florida, and his work schedule has been insane! 1st shift 2 weeks ago, 6pm to 6am last week, and this week he has to leave at 1pm, and gets home around 12 30 am......so he pretty much is either working or sleeping........ugh. No Having her in the same room does not really help..........she still crys. If im not holding her.
    airforewifenmom

Answer by airforewifenmom at 4:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• you were given a great answer. your child is VERY insecure right now her mother left her for a WEEK. at 10 months old they DO NOT take that very well. She NEEDS you, and now she is afraid you will leave, which is why she cries everytime you try to put her down. Your mom holding her the whole time... seems like the most she has gotten held her whole life.
    I hate to be the one to tell you this but
    BABIES NEED TO BE HELD. THEY NEED LOVE and THEY NEED ATTENTION. If you cant provide that, then it's only going to get worse.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 4:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• what are you doing now? you are on the computer. obviously not cleaning or holding a baby so get off the computer and start cleaning.
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Since you just pcs'd and the baby was away from you at your mothers, she is going through a transition and needs confirmation that mommy still loves her and is there for her. Please try to hold her while you can. Have her "help" sort the laundry and hold her and let her drop it in. The rest of the cleaning can wait except that you need clean panties...LOL

Wait till she goes to bed tonight to finish the rest. I know people are probably saying "she needs to learn', but as a military wife, I understand she is not manipulating you (especially at that age), she is having trouble adjusting and needs you more than anyone or anything else does right now.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 4:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2009