new baby

my new baby will be a week old tomorrow. I also have a one year old. Feelings of love toward my one year old are very strong... he is still my world. I do not have these strong feelings towards my newborn. Is this because I haven't yet had a chance to bond with him, or are these feelings supposed to begin right away? I am worried that I may have postpartum depression or something...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe you should talk to your doctor about how your feeling. I had strong feelings for all three of my babies. Maybe it's just a little overwhelming for you right now, take it slow...talk to the doc and see what happens.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 3:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It's still early days. You're not feeling sadness or the desire to hurt the baby, right? Then you're bonding fine...remembering that bonding is merely infant self defense so we don't EAT the little darlings out of sheer frustration from lack of sleep! **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 3:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• You're not going to feel exactly the same for your new baby as you do your toddler. You'll love them both, but in different ways.

If you feel something is wrong, by all means speak to someone about it! But don't expect what you feel for a new baby to be exactly like what you felt for other babies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• my baby too will e a week tomorrow and i dont feel that way...i lov him like i love my 2 year old, every one is different.....itll come.....the love you feel for your new baby will come.....just be patient....aslong as your not thinking of harming your new baby your ok....best of luck
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I didn't bond with my son for a long time -its not always instant for everyone or for each child I am told. , you have also had time to get to know your 1 year old, plus, newborns can really take and take and at 1 year old, they are able to give also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I only have one child but I found I didn't have that instant love feeling right away but I still had the strong urge to protect and care for him. Soon enough I found myself falling more in love with him every day. Is this similar to how it was with your first? Then maybe that's how it will go with the second too?
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009