Is spaghetti healthy?

Is spaghetti with just whole wheat pasta, store bought spaghetti sauce, ground beef (low fat and drained) and just a little bit of parmigiana cheese healthy? Served with a salad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yes, it can be. The Healthy Harvest Whole Grain pasta has very little carbs in it. There is heart healthy sauce in bottles, just add extra veggies. (zucchini, squash, green peppers and onions). You can also make your own sauce, it really isn't that hard to do. No food is really bad for you, as long as you eat it in moderation.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• yes but it would be way healthier if you made your own sauce... some canned tomotoes and herbs cuts way down on the salt and stuff or use fresh ones and stew them yourself
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Not sure about the store bought sauce?? I would be willing to be it's not great healthwise...and sub the ground beef with ground chicken or turkey..

here is a site I like for a quick looky loo

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/healthieryou/html/tips_healthy_subs.html
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Skip the store bought sauce and make your own from tomatoes and greem peppers and tomato paste...add seasonings to taste and it will be healthier...opt for ground turkey instead of beef OR if you can't handle all turkey, mix it 50/50 with the beef.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't touch the store bought sauce. I'm not sure what's in it because I haven't bought any in years.

Remember that the pasta should be eaten as a "side" not the main attraction of the meal. It may be whole grains but that's still a lof of carbs. I would serve a salad along with a vegetable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Instead of the ground beef, use (cooked or canned) lentils or beans and add something green, like shredded zucchini, spinach, brocolli, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Yes! Spaghetti is healthy, but like most carbs, it's best in moderation. Pay attention to portion sizes to make sure you don't overeat. =)
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 11:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2009