How to break my 5 year olds bad habits

Ok so I am single mother of a 5 year old and also a 2 year old. They are both boys. I know it is very difficult for my older son to see me spending more time with my younger son. And I do make time for my older son as well, but when my younger one is sleeping. So this is my problem my 5 year old is starting to act out really bad. He is talking back to me, not listening to me, telling me I am mean, and teaching his younger brother bad habits. Mind you that my younger son is now going through his "terrible twos" stage and is more seceptible to acting up and saying no. How can I correct my older sons bad behaviors? How do I get him to stop talking back to adults? I have tried taking items away such as television, time outs in the corner, sending him to his room, and nothing seems to work! I know I am not going to win parent of the year award, but is it so much to act to have children that I can take in public??

melissarose83

Asked by melissarose83 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• have you tried making him write an apology letter? i know hes kinda young but it might help.. .main thing is be consistant.. if he inturupts you when your talking to someone make him leave the room and keep doing it.. if he back talks send him to a room with NOTHING in to to intrest him.. and keep doing it.. if hes mean to his brother make him apologize and do something special for him..

hope this helps
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• When my 2 girls 3yr and 5yr old act that way I DO NOT give them the attention they want until they talk to me nice usually it stops very soon after they relize what mamma is doning yes this may take you longer since you don't have a hubby to explaine what mamma might be doing like myn told my girls when they acted not very nice. Good luck!!!!
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I'd pop him in the mouth. It may sound harsh but my oldset is 3 and I do the same to him when he talks back - but not often, b/c he knows what will happen. Do I love my baby, YES, but I also want him to respect me and other adults and popping him in the mouth (with the back of my hand) doesnt bruise, or kill him. It lets him know that I am the parent, he is the child, and there are painful consequenses for disrespect, and misbehavior. Try it. It goes like this...

You say, "go sit down"
    He says, " I want to watch tv"
    You say, "boy what did I tell you?"
    Let him answer
    If he says/does something other than, "what you told him"...
    pop his mouth before he finishes, and say, " I told you ___. "
    Then watch him do exactly what you told him to do.

Believe me, he will not hate you, and if he does, SO WHAT, he will be a better man for it.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 3:54 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• first stop saying 'no' to your kids....switch it to 'not okay" if he acts up in public you leave right then and there go straight home. tell him why when you get home time out and do not talk to him while he is in time out. make him say he is sorry. You have to give a consequence every single time he is bad, you need to be consistent 100% of the time. Do not give a threat that you are not willing to follow thru on.

Check out the book 1-2-3 magic

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Have you tried a good ol'fashioned spanking? It works wonders.
    I agree. Tap his mouth when he starts talking back. Doesn't have to be hard. It's the shock factor that gets them. Also teach him that the proper response is yes ma'am/mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009