methods of teaching??

i've noticed a lot of your children are very advanced for their age. like they know their abc's and numbers and things like that. my son knows a few of his numbers and most of his colors but i feel like he is behind and doesn't want to learn. what are some good methods of teaching him things??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I swear by sesame street. My kids were ALL raised on that show. That combined with me reading to them during the day, and we purchased a ton of leap frog toys (as they got older they accumulated mass amounts of LF toys which we handed down to their younger siblings), Pointing out the windows are square, the door is a rectangle and buying learning books will help too. YOu don't need to spend tons of money on "extras" everything you need to teach is in your home and around it pretty much. Every child learns at their own pace. My daughter is not as advanced as her older brothers were at her age, but she's the baby so I think it's just the fact I've babied her more than I've taught her if that makes any sense. Now that her brothers are in school i'll be doing workbooks with her but i'm not too concerned about it because she'll catch on in her own time.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• how old is your child.?
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 4:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Don't stress about what gets posted here relative to your child! It's hardly a representative sample! Kids learn at different paces and have different interests. Encourage those. Talk with your child about the world around him/her, point out colors, shapes, etc. Read books regularly. That's all the "teaching" a child really needs at this age (I'm going on the assumption your child is less than 3 given where you posted). Encourage your child to explore and try new things. Provide toys that allow imagination and exploration (blocks, shape sorters, cars/dolls) My son happens to love the PBS show called "Wordworld". It's really for older kids but he loves the animated animals. As a side affect, he's learned all his letters. he also heavily into shapes and will point out the shape of everything he sees at the playground. Encourage those sorts of things and you'll be doing great!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• you can use your environment to point out and teach things to your child...what color is the stop light? what shape? point out trees, animals, use things in your home, the tile floor is in the shape of ? I agree with another poster...each child will learn at their own pace. When my son was younger, I taught him his colors from colored beaded necklaces. Always read to them. Most important. good luck

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 7:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2009