toddler bed question

my son is 16 months old and I am starting to look at toddler beds.. once in a toddler bed do they sleep w/ pillows or still just the mattress? what is the "age" that sleeping on pillows is safe? my son is a tummy sleeper

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He still seems a little young but if he can lift up and away from the pillow, he will be fine...instead of buying a standard pillow (too thick) I got a travel pillow to start with
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• we started pillows at 1 year and moved the boys to a toddler bed at 20 months ish
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We moved our daughter at 15 months, but she was ready. We didn't give her a pillow until she was about 17 or 18 mo, but she did great with it. I would take it slow and see what he likes. If he wants the pillow then let him have it, I would start out with a smaller one though instead of a normal pillow. He will do great, but just be prepared for a little unease from him as well as yourself his first few nights. He will also probably slide out of the bed, but I wouldn't really worry as toddler beds are really short and if you have carpet it won't really be an issue.

With our daughter we made a big production out of the crib to the toddler bed. She picked out her sheets as well as the bed. Make it fun and let him set in the bed for a while before you put him down for the night. When he wakes up in the morning give him lots of praise for being a big boy.

Good luck.
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 3:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Our pediatrician told us to hold off on pillows until 2. Our son was 2 in April and still has no interest in using a pillow.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2009