Finicky Eater

Can anyone give me recipe ideas or tips for getting my very picky 3 year old to eat??? I am at my wits end and very worried that she is not getting the nutrition that she needs. She is on a mutlvitamin supplement but we all know that that is just not enough... I just need fun recipe ideas or tips on how to get her to eat without it being the battle of wills... Her dad is from a Japan and apparently children don't have a choice on what they eat and so I just should make her eat whatever. I don't feel that way at all, especially since I myself am very picky. Plus you can't MAKE a child eat.

I just want her to be healthy! Any ideas????? Thanks!

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe if you make sandwiches you can cut them into cute shapes with cookie cutters. Maybe she can help you make her meals, that way she will be involved and want to eat. I definitely thin for sure to you need to change up her meals. I try not to give my daughter the same thing too often. If all else fails just give her whatever she will eat considering it's healthy.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 3:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My son was very picky when he was this age and we went to the library in the childrens section they have great cookbooks for kids I brought him in the kitchen after we picked out books and he helped me cook he loved it and tried a few new things, Now he is 11 and he eats a bigger variety but still has a very definate list of things he will not eat.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Have her help you make meals, serve her what you want but make sure there is 1 item that you know she will eat. Make sure she takes 2 bites of everything before she can say she doesn't like something. It takes something like 50 tries before a child learns to like some food items. Give her a variety of foods. If she is growing steadily, she is getting the nutrients her body needs. Do NOT use meals as punishment, do not withhold food because she doesn't like something. Adults don't eat what they don't like, so why should a child?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My 4 yr old is the king of picky!!! first rule is NO JUNK! I tell him what is junk and what is healthy. He knows the difference by now.
    I let him decide when he wants to eat and he never eats family meals. Sounds ridiculous sure but what I refuse to do is make him sit at the table until his food is gone. I refuse to have a power struggle with a little kid.
    By the end of the day he has had cereal, a jelly sandwich, some watermelon, a granola bar, ice tea, juice,water.....what I look out for is his BM's...seriously! a poor diet can lead to constipation. So I make sure he has easy BM'S and if not I get out the fiberone yogurt. He likes it but it's expensive where I live. So I get it only when it's important.
    All you can do is trial and error...get alot of different foods out and find out what they like.
    My son loves my meatloaf. Not my sisters. Try and try to find what she likes and stick with those foods...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• con't

Stick with what she likes for now and she will get tired of it...and you will find her liking new things.
    It is all trial and error. Also if she refuses to eat dinner give her a choice that if she doesn't eat 2 bites of something on her plate she will only get a pice of bread for a bedtime snack...sounds mean but my son will skip all his food and have a piece of bread at bedtime.
    I'm sorry but I cannot let a kid go to bed hungry so I go with the idea that bread is something and better then nothing...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Make the eating itself fun. You don't have to change the menu. Be a cheer leader. Count bites and do the whole hip hip horray thing. If she gets LOTS of praise for eating she is more likely to be willing to eat whatever you put in front of them.

It will also be a good lesson for later on. If she learns now that she can't always have what she wants food wise (it will get real expensive fast if all she wants is takeout) she'll go with the flow more easily later on. Whether it's as a teen living at home or as a new adult who just got her first job and moved out that now has to buy her own food.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:17 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i heard it on here before use tooth pick with the food like meat put a tooth pick in it so they have control picking it up and its some what fun for them
    Amanda2430

Answer by Amanda2430 at 1:19 AM on Aug. 28, 2009