To those who grow tomatoes:

It doesn't matter if I stake or cage my tomatoes, they always overgrow and fall over. Are the plants supposed to be trimmed? How can I grow high yeilding tomatoes without my plants falling over??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Grow them upside down in a hanger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Good question....my split
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• You can cut off the branches that do not have flowers on them, that will do away with some of the over growth. If you look really closely at your plant you will see that some branches have flowers and some don't, the ones that don't won't get any, so they can be cut off.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• oooohh...maters! you can prune a tomato vine, by pruning the extra suckers that grow from where a main branch comes off of the stalk. you can also put those suckers in water and when they root you can replant them and have tomatoes up until your first frost.
    tomatoes were never meant to be upright, they are a crawling vine like a cucumber, let your vines grow horizontally and you will be amazed at how well they do.
    if you have tomato plants that produce too much green and not enough red, you may have too much nitrogen in your soil and not enough phosphorous. nitrogen is what causes a plant to make things like leaves and stems phosphorous is what causes a plant to produce whatever it is it is supposed to produce. miracle grow is very guilty of making tomatoes too tall and not productive with weak stalks.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:30 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Well alrighty then. I have been using Miracle Grow. What do you recommend for fertilizer then? I thought you were supposed to keep tomatoes off the ground or they would mold? Teach me oh OBI WAN... :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• if you want to spend a little money on fertilizer you can use a product called Bloom. It has a high phosphorous content and will cause any producing plant to make more of what it produces. you can also just go to a hardware store or co op, or even lowes and get a generic organic fertilizer with a high content.
    the number on the package will read with 3 numbers. 13-13-13 or 15-15-15. you need a product with a higher middle number. for example 10-20-10. and reapply every 30 days. if you buy a manmade fertilizer it will be a much higher number like 15-35-15 and will wash away more quickly.

if you have access to any type of chicken poop from chickens that are not free ranging, that is an excellent source, also fish emulsion.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:37 AM on Aug. 28, 2009