Any ladies married to or with a cop or Highway patrol?

My DH has always wanted to be in law enforcement. He wants to be a Correctional Officer but that is currently closed here in California... So he wants to apply for CHP(california Highway patrol) or the Police Force. I worry about this cause I see all the bad things that happen to cops. Am I overly worried because im pregnant and my emotions are crazy anyway or am I justified in worrying? Anyone whose SO or DH is in law enforcement how do you handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• My hubby is a correctional officer and yes you worry i wont lie, it is a dangerous job. but they get training and you learn to have faith that your husband will be safe. It can change the way your family works be prepared that you will miss holidays together it happens early in their carreer and they will have crazy shifts. You do learn to be a support system for each other and you find that you dont worry as much as you get used to the life, im not saying you dont worry at all but you learn how to do it without it taking over your life. I could go on and on lol but the best thing i would suggest is to join a group of other moms who have hubbys in law enforcement, you will get support from those who really understand and you can ask lots of questions.

My husband was a Marine before this so I am very used to the high risk jobs it has always been that way with my hubby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My whole family is Highway Patrol and my Husband is Fire and Rescue. I don't know if it's because I grew up in the family or what but I have never really worried about my family or my Husband. My Mom is a Special Agent and has been loaned out to many Federal Agencies (right now she is on loan to I.C.E). I really don't worry because I have confidence in their skills and plus what is worrying going to get me? I have seen a lot and I am not so much worried about the criminals as I am about the idiots driving along the side of the road, people tend to drive towards what they are looking at and those flashing lights definitely get people's attention.
    I say if he wants to do it, support him because he will need it and try not to worry too much because in the end, what's going to happen is going to happen whether you are worrying and stressing about it or not. These days it's just as dangerous to walk into a bank or gas station.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• my dad was a city cop for 38 yrs, it was very hard on my mom and he did get shot in the leg once.
    toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 5:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My friends husband is a CHP... I think out of all the fields he is in the safest. They deal more with traffic, accidents, tickets etc... Rarely do they get involved with the craziness of beat cops. I'm not claiming it is not dangerous or that it can't be, I just think it's a bit safer..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2009