How bad is a C-Section???

I have a 3 year old but I had a vaginal delivery with her... I am pregnant with Baby Number 2... I am 34 weeks and he is breech. My chances of having a c-section are pretty high, especially since I am already on bed rest because my water is leaking... I am really nervous about this but I want to know what I should expect>>

RondaGoolsby

Asked by RondaGoolsby at 4:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• u will be fine. its bad the 1st day but all u can do it take it day by day. u walk bent over for a while n yes it hurts to get up n down they do give u good meds though lol gl...i have had 2 c sections i healed 100% by 4 months with the 1st
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• C-sections are major abdominal surgery. They are very common, however-about 1 in 3 women have them nowadays. You will be given drugs, probably a complete spinal block, to numb you, so you will not feel any pain. You may feel some pressure as the baby is being delivered. Drugs may take a few hours-a day to completely wear off, but you will be given painkiller medication. You will feel woozy but happy that you can finally see your new baby! During a C-section, the obstetrician will make a 7-8-inch cut, most likely horizontally, across your abdomen. The uterus and abdominal muscles will be cut but immediately sewn back together. The obstetrician will deliver the baby first, then the placenta. The complete C-section may take a few minutes-20-30 min at most, assuming there are no complications. You will be given a blue sheet to hang in front of you so that you cannot see anything. ( continued )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Recovery from a C-section requires assistance from family members and/or close friends. You may be in a lot of pain, walking and sitting will be somewhat painful. Degrees of pain vary from person to person. The important thing to remember is that you have this beautiful baby now, and everything was totally worth it. Take care of yourself and your baby. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• they really are not that bad my first had normal and second was c-section you just cant pick up anything heavier then your newborn or it may cause the stitches to rip open so have some help for the first week or so when you get home the main thing that bugged me about it was the itchiness of it that drove me nuts but it didnt hurt all that much i had to take things really slow wlaking around and stepps were not fun to walk up but all and all if i get pregnant again i think i am gong to do the c-section i healed better &faster
    J_L_Fshr

Answer by J_L_Fshr at 4:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Honey, I had a c-section for my first and only child, so I don't know about vaginal delivery. I will say that I was so thrilled to have a c-section after witnessing what my friend had to go through for a vaginal delivery! The c-section was soooo easy and stress free. I knew exactly when she would be delivered, went in at 8am, dressed in a gown, took blood pressure, set up the IV,and they wheeled me in for the epidural. I rested for a min, then they held up a sheet so I couldn't see the surgery and they pulled her out. It was all a matter of minutes. No pain, you can't feel anything. Another few mins go by where they stitch you up and its done! Its like having a tooth pulled! haha! I was on pain meds from then on for about 5 days I think. I didn't breastfeed b/c of the meds, so that's something that may be a drawback for some folks. I think you're supposed to stay in the hosp. for 3-4 days, but I was up and around
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• on the 2nd day demanding to go home!
    kenzie07

• Oh, and don't worry about a scar. They make the incision just above your pubic bone (way below the bikini line) and my Dr. used the glue instead of stitches, so I barely have any scar at all. Its a tiny pencil thin line about 5 inches long. Its been two years and I can hardly even see it. Not like the old days where they cut your belly from top to bottom!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• i have had two c-sections...my first i onl had the spinl andno pain meds.....my second cause the doc had to make a larger incision, i took daravocet(really strong tylenol) only took the edge off.....but thts me and my situation....its no that scary, i was more anxious than anything, i wanted to meet my lil man.....first was an emergency second was planned.....best of luck.....
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I really loved mine! I know that the doctors are there to take care of you. I will warn you while in recovery they do kinda push on your tummy pretty hard to "kneed" out all the clots, since you don't push! That was uncomfortable but it was over in a few minutes. The incision is a little scary at first...I was always afraid something was going to happen to it. Please be very careful after you go home, no heavy lifting,yes you can lift your baby,no stairs unless necessary, and ask for help. The nurses do this all day and have seen and heard it all...so don't be afraid to ask questions or for help! Try to have some help when you come home, because you will still be in a good bit of pain, everyone is different and recovery varies from woman to woman. I think you will be fine. Try not to worry. I am pregnant again and will have another c-s. I know I will be a bit nervous to when the time comes, but I think it is more baby anxiety
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I loved my c-section too. I was the same as you. Vag delivery for my first, then my second was breech. I was devastated. But then slowly, it started to sink in. It was scheduled, so I didn't have to worry about what to do with my first born. I planned to have my sister sleep over the night before for him. I loved not having to do anything but lie there - I'm lazy like that I guess. I got to spend 4 days in the hospital which was the best. I really bonded and got quite good at breast feeding. It was very painful the first 2 days, but each day got remarkably better. It was hard for me to climb the stairs at day 4, but I managed. I was driving by day 6. I chose to have a c-section for my third. Good luck to you!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2009