My son just got his first two teeth exciting but painful when he bites me while breastfeeding any advice on how to stop him from biting me?

mommie2be525

Asked by mommie2be525 at 4:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He probably does it because it feels good. :-( Unfortunately. I couldn't get my daughter to stop biting me at all, so I stopped BF her, I just pumped thereafter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My daughter has two teeth and so far no biting. I'm crossing my fingers.
    My friend's daughter bit her once while breastfeeding. She yelled and told her daughter not to do that. The daughter never bit her again.
    yalomsita

Answer by yalomsita at 4:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Both of my kids did that while nursing. I would tell them NO very sternly and pull them off the breast. If they did it a second time I put the down and finished nursing for the time being. I would try again 10 mins later if they were still hungry. If you make too much of a reaction they will think it is funny and do it on purpose. I learned that the hard way. They would bite me and then laugh, until I started doing the above. It took about a week for each of them to get that I was not kidding around and was not going to be bitten. We got through it and they nursed until 15 months and just shy of 3 years.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• The only way I could get my DD to stop biting me was when she did, I'd plug her nose (like pinch it together w/my fingers), so she couldn't breath and she'd pull off. After about a day or 2, she realized she didn't like me doing that and has never bitten me again. She's almost 13 months and I'm still breastfeeding.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 4:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I asked that same question from a LLL friend of mine with my son a few months ago. She has been involved in LLL for almost 30 years and nursed 5 children. First when the baby bites you say no in a firm voice and put a finger in his mouth to break the suction. Place the baby on the floor between your legs to steady him if he can't sit up by himself or sightly away from you if he can and ignore him for about 45 seconds. Then if he still wants to nurse then let him come back to you. You can repeate this as long as you need too. This works because not only has he lost the comfort and security of the breast but also your arms. It took my son about a week to get it but he got it and he only tries to bite me once in a blue moon now and he gets the same treatment.
    RoRoMommy

Answer by RoRoMommy at 4:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I agree with Carajust and RoRoMommy- kudos for your encouraging and helpful answers. The important thing to remember is to stay calm! Yelling or screaming is only going to tell your baby that this is a way they can get attention, however negative it is.
    EmmysMamaMia86

Answer by EmmysMamaMia86 at 6:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• May I just add here that if baby is biting the breast he/she is not hungry. So it's perfectly acceptable to remove them and like the others said a firm No. I never had any problems with biting myself. but my pediatrician gave me the heads up. Biting = not hungry.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• awww baby Ian gots a tooth.. cute.. any pics?
    TalonRyansMommy

Answer by TalonRyansMommy at 9:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009