Family of 6- What would you buy?

A week's worth of groceries for a family of 6- Mom, Dad, and 6, 4, and 2 year olds and a 7 month old. Limited budget, say $60. What do you buy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Betty Crocker, and Banquet both make the box meals, they r pretty cheap b/w $3-4 & feed four adults they are quick, easy and everything is included in the box, and they are actually pretty good
    Nicholeb211

Answer by Nicholeb211 at 4:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• milk 3.20
    breadx4 6.00
    peanut butter 4.00
    meat 25.00
    tomato saucex3 2.00
    frozen veggiesx4 8.00
    orange juice 3.00
    eggs 2.00
    cereal 5.00
    Thats about 58.00 but not including tax. Thats the best I could do...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Wow Mrs. Leftlane, those are some expensive groceries.
    Our milk is usually $1.99 a gallon but it's gone as low as $1.50 2 weeks ago.
    We bake our own bread (about 50 cents a loaf)
    I don't pay $2 a jar for tomato sauce.
    $3 for OJ? Wow. I pay $2.18 for a half gallon of name brand no added crap OJ.

I don't even think your grocery list would feed them for a week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• That's just a little less than we are spending now. I spend $70 t0 $80 on a family of five and I am pregnant with #4. I buy breads off the clearance rack and stick them in the freezer. I also buy meat that is marked down and has to be sold that day. It goes straight to the freezer.
    Milk - great sales right now $2 a gallon
    Fresh Fruit - whatever is on sale - usually I pay $1 a pound or less
    Fresh veggies - whatever is on sale or marked down and I know we can eat it right away or freeze it (I usually spend about $20 on fresh fruit and veggies)
    Meat on clearance
    Bread on clearance
    Cheese - only buy when it is on sale and freeze the shredded cheese
    Staples - flour, sugar, wheat flour, beans, rice, etc
    Toilet paper! I usually buy that every 2 weeks or so - whenever on sale
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Groceries are high here and I was just going off the prices I pay. It varies in every state. And I don't buy tomato sauce by the jar, I make it homemade so it's by the can, it's about 50 cents/can so I figured a little high for that. Milk is high but we only go through maybe a gallon a week here and there are 5 of us. When I was a single Mom I could make 60 bucks go a long way if you buy all off brand, or go to Aldi's. I don't have to watch what I spend as much anymore thankfully.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Okay, I am not sure where you live MrsLeftlane, but here in NC there is NO WAY you can buy 4 loaves of bread for $6, the cheapest I have found here is $1.98, $4 for peanut butter?? Really? I would say $2. Tomato Sauce?? The cheapest is $0.94. 2 bucks a bag for frozen veggies? What brand are you buying? Seriously? Wow. Some of your stuff doesn't make any sense at all. And I think I would buy really cheap hamburger and stick to like chicken nuggets if I was on such a tight budget for 6 people! We are a family of 3 and we have a budget of $150 a week and sometimes I have NO IDEA how we get by with that!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• just look for the sales and use coupons I saved $50 in one trip! only buy sale things!! buy what you can at walmart or a dicounted food store. We spend about $200 a month on a family of 5. and we eat meat, veg and a starch everynight. good luck. :)
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• eggs, a 18 pack for $1.78 at walmart. 2% skim milk 2.89 at local convince store. Spegetti sause $1.50 at walmart, fresh fruits veg off of clearence rack at stop and shop. Jucie apple 96oz walmart $1.98. Hamburger helper $1.25 walmart.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• OP here- Forgot to add that Milk, eggs, cheese, peanut butter, juice, tuna, and carrots are all taken care of- We get WIC PLEASE don't bash me for that- I am breastfeeding, and two of my children have genetic disorders that we are getting help for through WIC!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• You would be surprised that fresh fruits and veggies are VERY cheap. I woul buy tons of fresh fruits an veggies. Then you can also get things to make 2 casseroles. That should get you through the week as far as meals.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2009