my son is 5 days old. Will it hurt him if he sleep on my chest?

They say its hazordous for newborns to sleep on there stomach..so will it be hazordous if he sleep on my shest on his stomach?

tremother23

Asked by tremother23 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• dont listen to them did it with both of my kids. pretty much every daddy does it with their kids. if u think about it they said SIDs was more common in babies who sleep on their backs. now they say its more common in kids that sleep on their stomach. THEY DONT KNOW! they keep goin back and forth on it.. the baby will be fine. my niece had to sleep on her stomach until she could flip on her own bc she use to throw up a lot she is now 2 and fine. my kids always slept on their stomach and they are fine my 9 month old still sleeps on his stomach,.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I did that with my daughter and so did my husband, our little one turned out just fine.
    Anonymous

• i don't think so, unless you fall asleep with him like that all night i would think is dangerous since you could fall asleep deeply and forget about the baby and turn around and he could fall off the bed,but sleeping with the baby like that for awhile i think is fine,and your baby will like it because he will feel your warmth and he will hear your heart beat as if he was in the womb :)
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 4:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I let my son sleep on my chest. They can still hear your heartbeat. I think it will be fine and it's a way for the two of you to bond.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 4:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• He should sleep on his back. Babies should not sleep on their stomachs. SIDS occurs most frequently with babies aged newborn-4 months. The younger, the more common. Why take a chance? Babies still die from SIDS every day. If you want the best for your son, you know what to do.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 4:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• All my babies slept on my chest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• SIDS occur most when they are on their tummies IN THE CRIB on the sheets and mattress that are drenched with fire retardants and when a little of spit up comes in contact with those chemicals then a dangerous gas is released. When the baby's nose is right there where the chemical reaction occurs than he inhales a lot of it. If the nose is a few inches away - then it's somewhat ok.
    By keeping your baby skin to skin you are doing several things to prevent SIDS. The baby regulates his breathing and hearbeat and temperature in sink with yours. If you breastfeed and don't smoke, you further reduce the risk.
    go_romanovs

Answer by go_romanovs at 4:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• If you are awake, and your son sleeps on your chest, no it will not hurt him. It's actually good for them. Your breathing keeps them breathing in a rhythmic pattern (sids is about failing to continue breathing on own). My son slept on my chest a lot.

Just be careful if you fall asleep so that you don't let baby slide off you or you roll over. If you're a heavy sleeper, on medication, have been drinking, or anything that impairs your ability to wake easily and suddenly, then no, you should not sleep with your baby in any way.

If baby is sleeping alone (like in a crib), yes, on the back is best. Young infants may not have the muscles developed to more their head if their face cannot get air.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• go romanovs... there is a LOT of reasearch done in the past few years that supports what you said about the flame retardant mattress', sheets, and clothing. I would never buy flame retardant gear for any of my future children b/c of all this research, even though my kids co-slept mostly.

OP, i forgot one thing. If you are a smoker, than no, don't sleep with your baby on your chest. The residue left from smoking that is on your clothing is harmful to a baby who is directly breathing in that residue on your chest.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• LOTS of parents can only get their baby to sleep like that. There is a whole slew of people who practically live in a recliner with a baby attached to their chest lol.

Young babies have the ability to move their face in that position, just look up "breast crawl" and you can see a baby only minutes old scooting, turning its head, and latching itself onto the breast!
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 5:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2009