epidural or no epidural?

im scared if i get an epidural i wont know how to push bc i will be numb and a few other things! is it harder to give birth with or without the epidural?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• OMG, get the epidural. You'll still feel pressure and believe me, you'll know when to push. It's no problem, really.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• They monitor your contractions and tell you when to push. I didn't feel anything i was induced because of gestational diabetes so the contractions I guess were harder and stronger than when you naturally go into labor, so at 5cm I couldn't take the pain anymore, I wish I wouldn't have gotten it though, cause sometimes I feel like i didn't give birth to my son because I don't remember the feeling of it -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I had an epidural that completely numbed me. I felt no pressure during contractions, not even during the crowning....but that was the way I wanted it. My doctor and nurse told me when to push. I also knew when to push because I saw my contractions on the moniter. It was actually really, really easy to give birth with the epidural. I had a great epidural, no side effects at all for me or my son, and I definitely plan on having another epi when I have my next baby.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 4:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• even if you are numb you will still know when to push because your doctor and nurse will tell you. also, they give you technique on how to effectively push. It's not that hard really.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• DO IT!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Don't do an epidural. It's not good for you or the baby. I've had 3 children without one and will be doing it again.

Go do some research on epidurals.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Epidurals pose extremely minimal risk to the baby! The needle does not touch the baby or break into the uterus; neither does the catheter that is in place. Nothing goes into the baby's bloodstream. So anon, maybe you should do a little research yourself. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I was totally numb after my epi and my doctor said, "push" and I did. Just do what they tell you.
    Anonymous

• I had my first, induced labor, NO pain meds at all--GET THE EPIDURAL! My second was an emergency c-section.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I had an epidural both times and had no issues knowing when to push. Also, a nurse kept her hands on my belly as well to make sure. I say go with the epi...it makes things so much easier.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 5:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2009