I have an HE (high efficiency) washing machine, I accidentally bought regular, not HE, detergent. Is it that big of a deal or should I take it back to swap it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Oh yeah it is a BIG deal. HE machine will make a ton of suds with regular. That can cause the motor to burn up or something .My Mom and Sister both have HE's but different makes. Their warranties state use of non HE laundry products WILL damage the machine and void the warranty. Take it back.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• yes it's a biggy.. you have to exchange it
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• THANK YOU!!! I thought so, but was hoping....lol...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I have had a Maytag Neptune set for the past 7 years, and we have NEVER bought HE liquid detergent! In fact, we often buy concentrated formulas! We just use about half of what a load normally calls for! Have never had extra suds at the end of wash or ANY problems mechanical or otherwise! And we run our washer CONSTANTLY--my boys are now 7 and 5, so it has seen its fair share of dirt!!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I agree that as long as you just use a very very small amount there is no problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would just go trade it, better than getting a laundry room full of suds :-) (speaking form experience!!)
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 11:41 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I have never had a room full of suds. I use less detergent.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:59 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I hear that if you use 1/4 of what you normally would, you'll be ok. I had some regular left over when we bought our new set so instead of having it go to waste I've been using it with no problem. Either trade it or make sure anyone who does laundry is aware of the difference. :)
    beebidoux

Answer by beebidoux at 8:41 AM on Aug. 29, 2009