Should I get Essure...or do you think I'm too young?

I'm 26 years old and have two children with my boyfriend of three years. Right now I don't want anymore kids. I was thinking of a permanent birth control so I can stop worrying about getting pregnant (I got the depo shot two days after my 2nd baby was born and I go for my next shot the beginning of September) but part of me thinks I'm too young. And one more thing stopping me is what if my boyfriend and I break up and I meet someone new...and we want to have a child together? We plan on getting married soon but I know that people can change. I'm really undecided on this and I need to make a choice because it's a BIG one. I wanted to discuss this with my doctor when I go for the depo. What are your thoughts?

CrystalJanie

Asked by CrystalJanie at 4:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Health

• Honestly, it sounds like you are having second thoughts about a permanent procedure. I'd wait, you are young and if you are already having second thoughts they may only get worse and you may end up regretting having it done. Give it some time, if you still want it in say a year, then go for it, but a lot can happen in a year.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• try the 5 year IUD... you can take it out at anytime or use it up to 5 years... if you meat someone new you can take it out....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• If you have ANY doubts, then don't do it. Essure is PERMANENT.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I agree with the PPs. If you have any doubts, don't do it. You don't want to regret it later on. You can stick with the shot or get in IUD for simple BC.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• If you have ANY doubts- don't. There are good bc methods that are not permanent. I'm 31, married for 11 years, with three kids and a dh who is POSITIVE he does not want any more kids, but we are still not doing anything permanent because I still have that 1% feeling of doubt, and for something that removes all options even that 1% is too high. JMO!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• If you have ANY doubts, which is sounds like you do, then do NOT do it. I just got it done and am 21 with 2 kids. But I had NO doubts in my mind. There is NO way I am going through another pregnancy, no matter what happens. Paraguard is probably a good choice for you.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:48 AM on Aug. 27, 2009