moms what do you think about leashes....

my son likes to run away from me in public like at the grocery store or like if we went to the fair......what do you think of those wristbands that connect with a string? i never really liked the idea, but now that i also have a baby, i cant just drop the carseat and chase him. its a safty issue.....what do you think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my kids listen to me but at the same time its impossible to go any where where things are lighting up and making noises and them not want to chase it I believe in these harneses. I have twins and they dont always run in the same direction and if i am by my self how am i supposed to catch two kids who are running in the opposite direction. I mean its not like ur putting a collar around there neck with a leash they have really cute ones. and putting them in a cart or stoller doesnt always work especially if im shopping how am i going to push a stroller and shop or put stuff in my cart with to little ppl who would throw the stuff on the floor first chance they get.
    twinmaker455

Answer by twinmaker455 at 7:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I think they're fine for situations like that. I put one of the harnesses (she thinks it's great, too, she loves the puppy backpack) on my daughter when we go to the beach because she likes to take off to the water and I really don't want her to drown, and I can't run very well in the sand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• they are not leashes they are called harnesses and if they can keep a child safe and not get hurt then use them I used them with my oldest he is now 22 no ill effects from using one on him. Kids are fast cars are faster I would much rather have a harness on my kids and have them safe then not to have one and then having to make funeral plans for them

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I think they're fine. Especially if you have two or more. My mom has thought of getting them for my sisters and they're 7 and 4. They like to run away too. You got to do what you got to do.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• i think people should control their children and make them listen to them when you say do not run away you mean it and if they do.. in the cart they go or holding your hand they go.....i think "leashes" are for dogs not children and is a cop out. sorry JMHO
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We used one when we took my daughter to the zoo. Actually it looks like a teddy bear and she really likes it, but it allows her to walk but also NOT be able to run away. That is the only time we have ever used it, but I loved it there, and see nothing wrong with them.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I can't stand them.
    Saftey or not. There are other ways to keep your kids by you. You don't need to keep your child tied to you. Get a bigger stroller, use a wagon, hold hands. . .oh wait, hold hands! Multiple kids? get a rope with the hoops on them, and teach them to walk on that, then to hold hands, and then you won't have to worry about it.

For kids that run off all the time, get a bigger stroller or a wagon. no need to use a "harness" or LEASH on them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• it's better than losing your kid, who cares what other ppl think. there are backpacks now for you kids that have leashes, they snap in the front so they can't wriggle out of them. they're cute too, i was looking at one today that has a monkey on it at target.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• momandbabygirl009....until you have a child who is faster than lighting or a special needs child you will never "get it" I think your reply was rude. Its not a cop out it is another way to keep your child safe...you know like child safety gates, window locks, child proof locks on medicine bottles..I am sure you have some of these in your home...so does that make you a bad parent because you are using these safety devices....and as for the holding their hand thing....HA ! why don't you walk around with YOUR HAND UP for 30 minutes and see how much your arm aches. I think parents who make children walk around like that are just awful..its hard to keep your arm up like that for so long oh & they are called harnesses & they are just another tool to keep kids safe. Great reply from a woman who has 1 kid who isn't even walking

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• my son just isnt a good listener. its's easier to say "just control your kid" without knowing the child....he is really behind on his speech. he is 4 and really doesnt talk understandably...so explaining things to him is tough. he is not autistic but i just dont know what it is. he thinks everything is a game and funny....even running away
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2009