Spanking

Ok, I was trying to post a reply to a question about slapping hands but then it was closed. I don't want to start a debate here, I just want to know what other mom's views are on spanking?

Tiera12

Asked by Tiera12 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• We have at 15 month old that we spanked (occasionally)before, but same as the anon poster, we do it as a last resort. We do time out, and/or taking her out of the situation, we talk to her, etc. but every once in a while, I do feel her behavior warrants a spanking. I do, also agree that spanking and beating or "hurting" your child is different. I, too, was spanked as a child, and I turned out just fine. It was very clear where the boundaries are growing up, and my dad (single dad of 3 kids, when he became a single dad we were ages 4, 2 and 1) had total control of us. We RESPECT him, always have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• personally i think there it a time and place for everything i do but its more of a loud sound then any pain to him... it dont work for me my son is 17 months and he looks at me and laughs.
    kristi_prncess_

Answer by kristi_prncess_ at 5:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• at a certain age a smack on the butt or hand if they are doing something that bad then yes. but not too hard and not all of the time or the child wont listen to you anymore if you just smack them for EVERYTHING
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I was spanked as a kid and I turned out fine.

I don't think people should spank their kids when they're angry or else they will hit too hard. I think as long as the kid has had ample warning and understands the consequence they're about to receive, and the parent is in complete control of them self so as to not hit out of rage then it's fine.
    Also only as a last ditch effort, when all other forms of discipline have failed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I agree there is a difference between spanking and beating. A quick slap on the hand or butt. Not a full blown swing to the face! or the back...you know what I mean!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I'm all for spanking, parents just need to know where to draw the line before they spank and have clear rules on when to spank. It shouldn't be a reaction, I guess, is what I'm getting at.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I'm a non-spanker.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We spank our children but only when they are not listening and it is something that could hurt them (running out into the street or such) If it is something like talking back or being mean to each other then it is usually a time out. Spanking are reserved for the more serious things when we really need their attention. I agree that if you use it all the time then it will bring no response. It is more for the shock value and it lets them know that we are really serious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I personally do not spank. I think that I have many other more effective tools than spanking to use as a means to teach, reach, and educate my child on his actions. I know that the parents that I have worked with who have spanked, including friends and colleagues, have reported situations that seem to escalate instead of teach or stop the behavior. If someone came to you and said that there were many awesome ways to assist your child in learning how to make better and appropriate choices without having to spank or yell....would you do it? And that these methods mean you have such a polite child who is respectful and kind? For me that is a no brainer which path I want to take.  If you don't want to use your hands to punish your child then there are many great parenting books available to give you other philosophies of parenting.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I spank, not beat, and not with both children. Its effective with one and not the other. It also depends on the situation.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 10:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009