Im going nuts with my 1 year old son....

My son Dylan is 14 months and he is walking but still a little funny... A few weeks ago we were at the park and he fell down and got a big bump on his forehead that we had to call 911. He was fine. Thank god! Now my question is I hate to keep in locked in the house all day so i love going to the park or staying outdoors but im so scared to let him walk on his own. what do i do? and on top of that he walks better barefooted is it nasty to let him walk barefooted at the park? when will he walk perfect?

beautiful2257

Asked by beautiful2257 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well, you could get him one of those push walker things? I know it won't help at the park, but you shouldn't let him run barefoot at the park either way - older kids tend to be wreckless and break bottles and things.. you want him to get used to walking in shoes, maybe get him a more flexible type of shoe so they soles aren't so tough? It took my son a good 2 months I'd say before the real wobbles went away, however he started walking at 12 months and still at 21 months falls at least 3 times while playing..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• my dd still walks funny also she was preemie with a corrected age shes 15 months i wouldn't let him walk barefoot but keep letting him practice maybe find a park that has the padding in the play area or let him play in the grass.

toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 5:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Well, it depends on your park! We have a BEAUTIFUL park, and there are no animals allowed there, so I would have no problem letting my DD (also 14 months) walk there. When she was first walking, we did spend most of our time indoors, so I really don’t have any ideas to help you with that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I'd go with soft soled shoes rather than going barefoot in a public place. If you can find a playground with a padded playarea, that's ideal. Otherwise, aim for areas that are relatively free of hard obstacles. Eventually, you just have to let him learn! Bumps are unfortunately a part of growing up.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• 14 months is still young to walk, my son didn't start until 15-16 months. You could get a little wagon to push him, I wouldn't let my son walk barefoot in the park near me but then again it's all bark chips and he might hurt his foot:( I know it can be frustrating, tho but give it time he will walk when he's ready:)

(
    Julieann78

Answer by Julieann78 at 7:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would suggest some little moccasins. It's almost like being barefoot, so it might help him feel more confident in his footing. I had a cast before 2yrs, and the Dr. actually told my mom that if he didn't know her well enough he would think she was abusing me. :) I was very accident prone, bump ridden, bruise covered, and could have been the Band-Aid poster child. :) Kids get lots of bumps, just try and stay close, if you can find a park that uses a lot of sand and no cement, that's the way to go. You could also try Walking Wings, so you can help him walk while still leaving him in control to learn balance. :) Hope this helps.
    BunniBunni

Answer by BunniBunni at 2:13 AM on Aug. 28, 2009