What does it mean if your ferret is turning orange?

He is white but had some orange to him.Is he sick?

momofsixangels

Asked by momofsixangels at 4:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Pets

• I raised ferrets for years, also worked in a vet clinic for years. How old is your ferret? Anything you're doing different? Could be the bedding, dirty fur, age, or nutrition. Make sure whatever you're feeding him has at least 32% protein. White furred animals sometimes get an orangish tint with age- my white ferret did. If he's acting fine, not strange or sluggish, I wouldn't overly worry [you can always ask the vet to be safe- just call]. If he's lethargic or won't eat or you are concerned, by all means take him in, if just to be reassured :) Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• did he eat too many carrots?
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 6:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Have you changed anything in his diet? Has he been out running about? He may just need a bath (has it been awhile since he's had one?) When he had our white ferrie, he'd turn kinda orange-ish when it was bath time, just from having white fur and running around and getting into bits and pieces. I wouldn't say he was sick though ... but you could always take him to the vet if you haven't changed anything and have given him a bath and he is still that color ... better to be safe than sorry. HTH, Jamie :)
    j_l_b

Answer by j_l_b at 7:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• what kind of bedding are you using?? possibly the bedding turning his fur....good luck!
    sweetheart4171

Answer by sweetheart4171 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• It is possible he is sick, I would consider taking him to your vet just to be on the safe side.
    Anonymous