How do cabbage leaves help to dry up breastmilk?

I know they "do" help to dry up bm, I'm just wondering if anyone knows "how" they help. Do they draw the milk out? I'm wondering because I used these this past weekend because I knew they would work, but now I'm wondering HOW they work. Just curious. Thanks!

GrowingMama

Asked by GrowingMama at 12:53 AM on Aug. 27, 2008 in Health

• I always thought the leaves were just cooling and soothing on the skin as you can sore when you wait for the milk to dry up, it doesn't actually draw it out, if it did them you would still be producing milk as your body would think it was feeding baby, that's why you get told not to express when you want the milk to dry up as well.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 6:01 AM on Aug. 27, 2008

• completely agree with meandlo...I just binded tightly with an ace bandage, left them on constantly. except for showering. I didn't do the cabbage leaves thing. also, don't "check" to see if you're still producing milk, if you know what I mean...you'll encourage milk production. Don't do anything that would express milk or encourage more production.
    bianchi01

Answer by bianchi01 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2008