how to lose wieght

ok im a big girl i weigh like 250 and i just cant seem to lose the weight everything ive tryed is not working for me. ive tryed everything for atleast 6 months and i didnt lose a thing or i would lose 5 pounds at frist and then gain it back even thought i was not doing anything diff. ive tryed water pills, carnberry pilss, eating smaller portions, excise everyday for like 20 mints (thats all i find time for), i did the points thing with weight watchers and nothing seems to help. there was times i could lose maybe 20 pounds in 3 months and then i would gain 30 back. im tried of trying things i dont know what else to do. i wanted to know what has worked for u and any idels u have for me? also is there any thing on like utube r something that has the full work out video for free that i can watch and do here at hom? tyvm

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I am 5'1 and I weighed 198lbs 3 months after I had my daughter, I had always been tiny (104lbs-110lbs) Then we found out I had hypothyroidism. After getting on medication, doing a complete overhaul on my lifestyle and nutrition, I now weigh between 120-125lbs. I had my gallbladder removed 4 months ago and haven't worked out since then though lol Gotta get back on that wagon.
    I would honestly start slow, you don't want to do any damage to your joints and bones. Start walking as much as you can and aim for at leat 10 000 steps a day. As for those supplements and fad diets, supplements are garbage if they make crazy claims like melting fat. All they do is curb your appetite and then pop you full of caffeine or other energy boosters to burn the calories. You need to look at the quality of food you're eating and the plate size (I do a 50% veg, 25% protein 25% carb) and how often (3 light meals with 3 healthy snacks).
    sunnysoleil

Answer by sunnysoleil at 8:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Ran out of room lol
    Get a small set of dumbells too (2.5-7lbs) and look up a couple of weight exercises that are free and you can also message me and I'll see what I can do for programs for you (DVD's) :) I lost all that weight at home, doing pilates, P90x, and now I'm on a real weight training program (not to get big though lol, burn fat, tone and define only)
    Ciao and good luck!!!
    sunnysoleil

Answer by sunnysoleil at 8:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Not trying to be mean, but it doesn't sound like you have tried "everything." To lose weight, you have to eat less and move more. It's that simple.

For the exercise part, start walking as much as you can, and work up to jogging. If your kids are small, put them in a stroller and push. Walk for miles. Bike instead of driving. Take an exercise class that meets several time per week. Get a weight training video (+ weights) and do the routine at home. If you REALLY want results, hire a personal trainer. My friend did and lost a TON of weight. Exercise requires dedication, and you have to keep vamping up your endurance and intensity in order to keep dropping weight.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 11:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• (cont) As for finding time to exercise.....if you can find the time to watch a TV episode, you can find time for a 30 minute cardio workout. Like I said, join a class or hire a trainer so exercise is a commitment you have to keep--that might help motivate you.

For food: focus on eating unprocessed foods (veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean protein). Try to eat less carbs and instead center meals around protein and produce. Vegetables do not have to be boring; bake them, stir fry them, grill them, steam them; cook them in herbal rubs or with thyme, rosemary, sage, sea salt. Your options really are endless. When you want a snack, eat some fruit. Avoid caloric drinks. When buying protein bars, get bars that have at least 10g of protein, as anything less than that is basically candy. Pay attention to portion sizes and use measuring cups to make sure you're not overeating.

Good luck!
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 11:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• When you go on a diet, or use a diet aid, you are just putting yourself on the gain/loss rollercoaster; frustrating for you, & hard on your body. In order to get to and maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    Start with regular exercise, as simple as walking, for at least 20 min a day at least 3 times a week. Next, drink your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Now, eat your fruits & veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 6-7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat & dairy. Add beans, lentils & tofu to your diet. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big salad before meals

Answer by rkoloms at 9:40 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• mosuke: it is NOT as easy as you describe. I tried that and it didn't work. For some people it is very difficult to lose weight.

OP: Instead of dieting, try a lifestyle change. like Weight Watchers. Weight Watchers teaches you about nutrition, portion control and exercise. It is not about deny yourself any food, just learning to eat in moderation, what foods are more filling but still healthy. I lost 10 pounds the first month I was on Weight Watchers. Also, talk to your doctor about help with weight loss. Have a complete physical to rule out any thyroid issues. Start small, make small changes and work your way up to a healthy lifestyle. Skip the soda and juice (even diet soda), drink plain water (lemon, lime, orange or cucumber slices to add flavor), unsweet tea. Skip anything with artifical sweetners, those tend to be worse than full sugar items. Eat lots of fruit and veggies, whole grains. Walk everyday for atleast 15 mi

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• cont. As your body gets used to the exercise, increase your walks by 15 minute intervals. Dance while cleaning the house, park farther away from entrances. It will take time, it won't be easy but you can do it. I am in the process of losing 40 pounds and the exercise is harder than changing my eating habits. I love food, so limiting what I like is hard for me. I just want to be healthy and around to see my son grow up and have a family of his own. Good luck!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Burn more than you eat by getting active and you will lose weight and gain confidence. I found my miracle motivator at Daily Fit Planet. You can exercise at home in private with new classes daily! Have a look at their free trial, www.dailyfitplanet.com
    maurinew

Answer by maurinew at 2:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• The #1 way to lose weight is to begin a food diary! Write down every thing you eat or drink and at what time.

Once you see what your daily intake is you will naturally begin to think more healthy and chose foods that are better for you. You will also notice what time of day you tend to snack or starve your self.

The other #1 way to lose weight quickly is to eat a healthy BREAKFAST! Fruit, a glass of milk, and some wheat toast will go a long way. Snack on healthy foods as well. Take a container of fruit or veggies and dip to work if you feel hungry before or after lunch.

Also stay positive. You will start to lose weight and then possiby gain for a week or two. Thats normal and healthy. It means your fat cells are turning into muscle. Muscle burns calories more quickly! So, it's actually a good thing.

If you have any further questions or just need a pep talk, let me know!

Good Luck!
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 8:24 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Theres a group here on Cafemom called " Daily Nutritional Tips" you should check out. Not only are there tips, there are forums with a weight loss challenge, exercise plans/programs, & diet plans/programs.

What do you have to lose? There is LOTS of information there!

Good Luck!
    Anne518

Answer by Anne518 at 11:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2009