Milk intolerance

My 4 week old has really bad gas. When he poops it is really watery and he has even more really stinky gas. I breastfeed him and wondering if he might have a milk intolerance. My husband is lactose intolerant and our oldest was from the time I started giving him regular milk until he was close to 2. Would my drinking milk and eating dairy cause my newborn to be so gassy and have diahrrea like poop?

jombmomi

Asked by jombmomi at 6:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, it can. Tr eliminating dairy...you should start seeing some improvement within about a week.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I was just reading about this because I am also nursing. My first two I was nursing but ended up putting them on soy formula. Anyway, what I read was that a lot of babies tend to have an intolerance to milk for the first 6 months. So if you are nursing you may need to eliminate or cut back for the first 6 months or so. This does not mean that they are lactose intolerant. Their little bellies just can't handle it yet. I wish I had known this for my first two, but my dad and brother are extremely lactose intolerant and I didn't want to risk it so we went to soy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• yes I have had friends that have this problem. My friend had to cut dairy out completely before she got her dd pooping normally.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My baby is milk intolerant. I didn't BF but her formula was of course milk based and we had to get a hypoallergenic brand. I assume the same would apply to BF. Cutting dairy from your diet would probably help a lot.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009