3 questions in one

1. While bathing, I accidentally got some water in my 2 month old's ear. I've been told that water in an infant's ear is bad. Any advice?

2. I'm planning a girls' night tonight and would like to have a couple of beers. Will I need to pump and dump tomorrow? I know there was a recent post about this but I can't find it!

3. My little man has a couple of chins going on, so moisture always gets trapped underneath, no matter how hard I try to keep it dry. His little neck is now red and irritated, but there's no rash. Is there anything I can put on it?

Thanks for putting up with such a loaded post! :o)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1. Not much you can do about it now. A little won't hurt.

2. No need unless you're drinking more than one or two. Safe to drive, safe to nurse.

3. Cornstarch can help.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Water isn't going to hurt his ear unless he's under water for 10 minutes or so (his ears under water) then he could get swimmer's ear)

It's not recommended by the police and other authorities to drink at all and drive, why would you take the chance and drink then nurse? If you want what's best for your baby, don't be selfish and drink just because you want to.

Keep his chins as dry as possible. Dry him off often and don't leave a wet bib around his neck. I agree that cornstarch can help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• RE Drinking as Gdiamante said sober enough to drive sober enough to nurse. There is nothing selfish about having a drink!! As ALL of the breastfeeding websites state it is unnecessary to withhold from having an occasional drink. Alcohol leaves your milk as it does your blood so no need to pump and dump unless you are missing a feeding.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• if you are having a girls night maybe make some girly margaritas and make yours a virgin. i wouldnt risk any alcohol getting into my milk supply, even if i did pump and toss it, i just wouldnt feel comfortable with it...but that's just me
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 8:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• You can drink if you want. I have read a lot of literature on nursing and drinking and the general concensous seems to be that you can have one or two (depending on your body size, metabolism, etc.) and still feed your little one w/o pumping. The experts do recommend waiting to nurse two hours per drink if you have more than one though. If I have any question about wether the alcohol is metabolized from my system yet I use my frozen milk supply- no point in taking chances. As for pumping and dumping-there is no point exept for your own comfort. The alcohol goes back and forth (through osmosis and diffusion) between the cappilaries near your breast tissue and your milk so when it is out of your blood it is out of your milk! If I have two drinks at 8 or 9 pm I am safe to feed my LO when he wakes up at 4 am- no problem. So time your drinks well and have fun! (New mom's have to let loose once in a while!)
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009