Is white noise considered a sleep prop?

Does it matter how long you let them sleep with it for? Do you leave it on all night or turn it off? I normally have to rock and hold my baby, put him down, pick him up, a few or more times for him to go to sleep. He is 7 weeks old. I downloaded some white noise mp3s and I turned it on when he was crying. (He is borderline colicky my dr. says) He immediately stopped crying and passed out. I am not having to rock him, but was wondering if the white noise would now become the new sleep prop?

ashleybgarcia

Asked by ashleybgarcia at 6:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In a way, yes....but do what works. That's always the rule.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Sounds like it is. I think if it works....use it! My daughter was colic but I never thought of trying that. I guess I just thought nothing works so I just had 2 keep rocking her. I have always used a box fan 2 help put myself 2 sleep so I honestly don't know why it didn't cross my mind. If it works 4 adults why would it not work 4 babies. GREAT IDEA!
    jh-flgirl

Answer by jh-flgirl at 6:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• you don't even have to download anything. set an alarm clock that isn't being used to AM or i used to cut on the blowdryer and put it by the door. i wouldn't consider it a sleep prop now because baby is only 7 weeks. 6 months down the road i'd have some questions for ya :)
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 6:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I have to have complete silence to go to sleep, so it drives me insane! I literally have to sleep with earplugs, and I can still hear..
    ashleybgarcia

Answer by ashleybgarcia at 6:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• LOL you sleep like me I need completely silence....... I agree it would not be a sleep prop just yet whatever works is good. Have you tried putting him in his room with the white noise?
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 7:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It might, but deal with it later. If possible, put it on a timer of some sort so it's on long enough for him to go to sleep, but not on the entire time he's sleeping?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We use a fan in our bedroom. It not only provides white noise but also keeps the air moving all night. I have heard using a fan where the baby sleeps also decreases their risk for SIDS. We also have a Womb Sounds CD but I could definately get by with just the fan. We used to put the CD on repeat all night and nearly burnt out our CD player. Now I use the CD for when the little one goes to Grammi and Gramps house. It makes putting the baby down to sleep easier, especially for those who aren't used to it.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• There's absolutely nothing wrong with using white noise. It actually drowns out other noises that might be keeping your child from sleeping. I've used one with my girls since they were infants and it still works wonders! I leave it on all night, and they won't sleep without it. We even take it on vacation, haha.
    This is the one I use:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2686012
    doublesweetness

Answer by doublesweetness at 7:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I am 22 years old and still need white noise to sleep i see nothing wrong with it (I sleep with a fan on)
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• so what if it is?!?!?!?!!? you do what you have to do. my little guy listened to the "womb" sound all night every night for the first two years of his life... after two, i gradually turned it down until it could be turned off. it was not dramatic to turn it off...
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 9:04 AM on Aug. 28, 2009