question about breastfeeding!!

for those of you who breastfed your child did you use formula as well?
has anyone produced enough to not have to use formula at all?
and does it really hurt as bad as people make it sound?

VanessaCalhoun

Asked by VanessaCalhoun at 6:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I breastfeed my child. I have never ever had a problem with not producing enough to meet my son's needs. He is almost six months without any solids and still exclusively breastfeeding. He won't even take formula. It seems that many women cave into formula feeding when they think they are not producing enough because their baby is always nursing. Your body is made to meet your child's needs. As long as you keep nursing and staying healthy yourself, you will make enough for your baby.

The beginning can be rough, but it only last a week or two and is very much worth it! I assume you are still in your pregnancy since you are asking this and if you are I would recommend toughening up your nipples with a wash cloth in the shower. Just rub them vigorously each day to help prepare them to getting used all the time.

Good luck!
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It is COMPLETELY possible to never use a drop of formula. I had a friend who nursed TWINS with no formula at all.

I *did* use formula when I went back to work because I was stupid and used my pumped milk while I was still on leave. I should have saved every drop.

I don't know how bad you've heard it was. Yes, it DOES hurt initially. No worse than childbirth or sex for the first time, in my estimation.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I haven't had my little one yet but my one girlfriend said it felt like putting chip clips on dry chapped nipples. Ouch... Oooh the joys of motherhood lol!! That is why women will always be the stronger sex no matter what a man thinks Woo Hoo!!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• For my first, I had so much milk, I didn't need to use formula. But with my next 2, it started to dry up so I had to supplement with formula.
    It hurts at first, your nipples will get sore to the point where you might want to stop but stick with it! Your nipples will toughen up and then it will be a breeze. If it hurts for a long time, the baby might not be latching on correctly so it helps to get the proper technique down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I had to supplement formula with my daughter because she ate so much and I just didn't make enough for her. It hurt a little bit in the beginning as I adjusted to breastfeeding and got it right. But after the first week I was fine. Oh it also hurts when you get engorged but you can avoid that by feeding regularly or pumping. And when you stop slowly feed your baby less until your milk starts drying up instead of stopping cold turkey.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 6:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I've had three kids, all breastfed, never supplemented with formula. I have always made enough milk.

I wouldn't say it hurts, but the first few times (each kid) it twinges a bit. Generally, if it hurts, the baby isn't latched on properly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It didn't hurt for me at all. MAYBE the first 2 or 3 times I fed him....but to be honest EVERYTHING hurt at that point, lol, so I really didn't care too much. Don't listen to the horror stories, breastfeeding is different for every person. It depends more on if your baby is a good breastfeeder than anything. Some don't latch on that well, and that's the only time it really hurts.

MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 11:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Sorry- forgot to answer the 2nd part of your question. I make enough to EBF and enough to pump/store. Don't worry, chances are you won't have a prob.
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2009