Ok so if you were agnostic or athiest....

and your mother who is Old fashioned Irish Catholic (hence the reason I am the way I am) came to you and asked if you would please have your daughter christened would you? I don't believe in anything so sprinkling some water over her head to make my folks happy really doesn't bother me or my husband at all. i just wondered if anyone thought the same way? No bashing please I don't start with anyone for there relgious beliefs so please leave mine alone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nah. I'm passionately anti-religion, and it would be kinda hypocritical of me to have my daughter baptized or christened "just cuz." My mom and I have clashed many many many times about "raising her up in the church" and stuff, and I've told my mom many many many times that I don't want her to follow ANY religion until she's old enough to research it and decide for herself. If she decides at 10 that she doesn't want to be agnostic or atheist like her father and I are, then great! We'll help her learn whatever she wants to know. But now while she's a baby, I'm not promising her to any deity whatsoever.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My mom did the same thing and I'm agnostic. She had my kids christened. I don't care.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My family is entirely LDS (husband's family too) and they wanted are son to get a blessing when he was born. I didn't care- it's a tradition in our family and it's not going to hurt anything to go along with it even if I personally don't believe it.

Anyway the blessing is kinda similar to what you're talking about, so that's why I brought it up. In the long run though, you're the parent and you got to do what you think is best for you and your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• If I were very strong in my lack of beliefs, then probably not. But since you don't care, what's the harm?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I am a witch, so little different. My entire family are devout Christians, my mother knows of my choices, so does my grandmother, however she does not really understand it.
    They would like my dd to be Christened, my SO and I agreed.
    It doesn't bother me.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 6:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• No.

DS can do that if he wants to when he is older.

smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 6:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I have never had this problem but to be honest I probably wouldn't. Simply because it is my child's decision to make and not mine. Kind of like how some people get their daughter's ears pierced as a baby. I didn't because it's up to them if they want to get their ears pierced.

Yeah I know poor example for an analogy.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• No, because I feel it is disrespectful to her faith/church. During a Christening you are standing there saying you will raise your child in the faith and all that which, for me, would be a lie. What a great way to start the child's life off with...a lie.
    I'm glad my mom didn't fall to that pressure. Even though my mom was a believer she refused to have me and my brother baptized because she felt it should be up to us to decide. Neither of us have ever been baptized. I'm an atheist. No clue what my brother is (probably agnostic). We don't discuss religion.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Forgive me for chiming in, I'm not an athiest or agnostic but my answer would be no. The denominations that do Christenings and the ones who do infant Baptism (sometimes people confuse the two) take both of those things very seriously. You are making a solemn vow before God that you WILL raise your child in that faith. If you do not believe in God or do not intend to do so, it is best not to make such a vow (and like Jen said, isn't respectful of that faith).

JMHO of course. Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It depends on what that would mean AFTERWARDS.

If it would put her mind at ease to sprinkle the baby with water --- then go for it.
    If that sprinkling is just the beginning of a whole new can of worms (following through with raising the child in church & so forth), then no --- she'd just be outta luck.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 26, 2009