Engorgement question...

I have recently stopped nursing my daughter before bed, and that was the last time of day she nursed, so we're completely done now. However well she may be adjusting, I am having problems with engorgement, mostly on one side. It's painful, it's swollen in areas, and I have been pumping small amounts at a time to relive the pressure without much success. Any tips to get me through this? Thanks!

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 6:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Health

• I have heard cabbage leaves too. Try not to stand in a hot shower for too long and try as hard as you can not to pump (even though I know it helps the pain) You have to stop the "need" to make milk. Your body stills sees pumping as a need for milk so it will continue to produce it. Try and take some motrin for the pain and usually it only take a few days before it gets better. I know how you feel I was there a few weeks ago when my son weaned.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 6:54 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• The pumping is a good idea. Cabbage leaves in your bra will also help...something about the chemical reaction stops milk production.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• If you pump it will trigger your glands to produce more milk prolonging the process (no matter how small amount you pump also since you aren't emptying them, you are more prone to blocked glands and mastisis)...try cold cabbage leaves...they help with the pain and allow the milk to go away quicker.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• cabbage leaves worked for me too!
    busygirl247

Answer by busygirl247 at 6:52 PM on Aug. 26, 2009