First Day of Preschool Concerns...

Today was my daughter's first day at preschool. For starters, she had a very hard time staying. Then, when I picked her up (which she also cried) her teacher told me that, aside from throwing up twice, she did well. Do you all think he just said that to not make me feel as bad?

I feel like she thinks I abandon her... makes me feel guilty for taking her to school. I won't lie, but I even wanted to get her out of school and postpone this whole thing until next year... Advice, anyone???????

tatsmygirl

Asked by tatsmygirl at 6:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• be strong and don't worry you are not alone my little girl started preschool too and she was that way for the first week but now she beats me up to go to school! and she is only 3! lol don't worry you'll and your child will be just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• The best thing you can do is hug her, kiss her and tell her you will pick her up later. Let them calm her. Most kids calm the minute you are out of site. The longer you hang around and try to diffuse it yourself the worse it gets. It will get better. It usually takes kids a few weeks to adjust. I suggest bringing a small treat for when you pick her up. I bring our DD a muffin everyday when I pick her up. Of course that is to bribe her to go home since she doesn't want to leave school with me.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 7:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Thanks ladies... that makes me feel a lot better :-)
    tatsmygirl

Answer by tatsmygirl at 7:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• i work in a K-8 building and every year (including today) we have kids in Kindy who have never been away from mom, have a hard day from that along with it being the first day of grade school, it is so much to handle. you are doing her a real favor by making her stick with it (as long as you know you trust the school) so she can do that adjustment before K and can focus on learning at grade school. bringing a snack when you pick her up does a lot, i have to have juice for my son. you can do just a few days a week too, i send my 4 yr old to 2 days now, 4 days next year and of course then a 5 full day K class.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• She threw up TWICE and the school let her stay? What if she had thrown up from being sick? Sorry, but that's bull!

My kid ate too much and threw up at school and I had to go get him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Let me clarify...

It was not full-blown barfing... it was only a bit both times, but I see what you mean.
    tatsmygirl

Answer by tatsmygirl at 8:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Do not take her out. The first day, if not week (for some kids) can be difficult for kids, especially those that have been home with mom all the time. The teacher did not tell you to make you feel bad, she told you to let you know that your daughter did fine. Some kids will vomit when they are very nervous. She will be ok. The teachers know what to do with kids that are having school anxiety, if they think she isn't ready they will tell you. As a preschool teacher with 20 yrs experience and a mom, I know what I am talking about. I also suggest to not hang around, just give her a hug and kiss and walk away. It will be easier, I promise. Once she gets used to being at school, she will love it and not want to leave. Then you can stop in to help in her class. Give it time, she will be ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• This preschool thing is soooo much harder than anticipated. Thank you all for your advice, it really does help.
    tatsmygirl

Answer by tatsmygirl at 11:37 AM on Aug. 27, 2009