Has anyone used the Playtex cereal nipples for rice cereal in bottles?

Just to be clear I'm not looking for a debate on feeding cereal to infants in bottles. Our pediatrician suggested one teaspoon in her bottle at bedtime so help her sleep through the night. So I got these nipples to go on her regular bottles supposedly for cereal to be able to pass through. When I tried to feed her with one of those, it took her three times longer just to drink a half ounce. Has anyone else tried these nipples? Did they work for you baby?

wildflowers25

Asked by wildflowers25 at 7:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All babies are different, some DO sleep better with cereal in their bottles despite what some studies have shown. My little guy is visibly happier with some substance in his belly. Really only parents can choose whats right for their own babies. As long as you don't let baby take his bottle to bed with him, it isn't any more of a choking hazard than a regular bottle. As for your question...
    With the slow flow nipples my little guy would get so frustrated that he ended up refusing to take the bottle. We now use medela medium flow nipples and the rice cereal seems to pass through pretty well. You may want to try fast flow nipples if the medium are too slow for your LO.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would try the variable flow ones. They have a cross cut (or a "Y" cut) and they're supposed to work with the strength of the baby's suck, opening enough to allow thickened liquid to flow through.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Your doctor recommended putting cereal in a bottle for sleeping purposes? **bangs head against wall** It would be great if doctors were required to take refresher courses. It would eliminate so many problems our children are encountering.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would expect that it would take much longer, as the cereal is thicker. Even the different nipple won't change that. It might be harder for her to handle as well.

Here's the real question. Did it work? I know that we did a survey on the breastfeeding moms group some time ago and the members overwhelmingly found that cereal DIDN'T make the babies sleep. They sleep when they sleep DESPITE what you do, not because of it. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 7:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Wow, guess I wasn't clear. I am not interested in negative opinions whatever you're on about. Some babies don't sleep through the night for months and guess what? It's okay to give them a little help. One teaspoon at night is not a big deal. I can't imagine what the hell kind of problems the children are acquring from eating cereal.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• qdiamante - yes it works for her sleeping. Works wonders because she has a full stomach. It is the only thing that helped.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• "qdiamante - yes it works for her sleeping. Works wonders because she has a full stomach. It is the only thing that helped. "

That's all that matters. Again,. I'd expect a thicker fluid to take much longer to feed.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• "I can't imagine what the hell kind of problems the children are acquring from eating cereal."

You may want to educate yourself on the problems that children DO acquire from early introduction of solids. There are many, unfortunately.  If you haven't looked into the consequences I would truly do yourself and baby a favor and read a few articles.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I did it for my son too. In only small amounts in a rice feeder. I just got tired of having to use another bottle.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 7:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Anon 6:19 - I have researched and all I have found is theories. TBH all it sounds like is more conspiracy b.s. and I've had enough. One teaspoon of cereal is not harming my daughter. My son did well with one teaspoon at bedtime too. They are happy, healthy and we have an amazing doctor whom I trust. Thank you, first responder. I'm now closing this question.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 7:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009